Publishing blend (Mark Allam) - 2/11/2008 4:57 AM PST RRS feed

• Question

• By: Mark Allam

Hi,

I have created a user interface in blend with extension csproj.Do i need to 
    create an HTML page eg restaurant.com in expression web and then load Visual 
    studio to publish the application.Im just confused about the procedure.
    Im confused about this click once thing.
    Im building a web site for a restaurant.I dont want a customer to be asked 
    to download sthg on their computer before being able to view my site.Also in 
    Web. there is some keywords that can be loaded so that people who is 
    searching over the net can find your business easily.I cant see this feature 
    in visual c # express.
    Please advise .
    -- 
    mark from newport
    Friday, February 22, 2008 6:41 PM

All replies

• By: Unni Ravindranathan

If you are using Windows Presentation Foundation / .Net 3.0 / .Net 3.5 as 
    the run-time, then yes, you need to use Visual Studio's XBap authoring and 
    publishing capabilities to start on your project. You can then open that 
    project / solution inside Expression Blend to do your design work.

Thanks,
    -Unni

"Mark Allam" <markallam@bigpond.com> wrote in message 
    news:D4DAD167-2B37-49FD-BDF8-DF8B873BC417@microsoft.com...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have created a user interface in blend with extension csproj.Do i need 
    > to
    > create an HTML page eg restaurant.com in expression web and then load 
    > Visual
    > studio to publish the application.Im just confused about the procedure.
    > Im confused about this click once thing.
    > Im building a web site for a restaurant.I dont want a customer to be asked
    > to download sthg on their computer before being able to view my site.Also 
    > in
    > Web. there is some keywords that can be loaded so that people who is
    > searching over the net can find your business easily.I cant see this 
    > feature
    > in visual c # express.
    > Please advise .
    > -- 
    > mark from newport 

Monday, February 25, 2008 10:57 PM
  • How to view an application XBAP from blend 2 that i have compiled in Visual studio 2008 in internet explorer.

Can i publish the application file so that when someone go to my website www.mmmmm.com/page1.application they can view the window directly when it loads without having to click on the apllication and then downloading on their computer to view the application.

I dont get the importance of blend to be viewed as a normal website browser.Please explain.

mark
    Tuesday, February 26, 2008 2:53 AM
  • Mark,
    These are really good questions, but you have touched on about 20 topics. Ok, maybe not 20. :) Let's take a step back and take a different approach:

First the toolset. Visual Studio is the tool used to develop and compile, if necessary, your application. If you want to use WPF, whether you are going to build an XBAP application or just publish loose XAML, you can use Visual Studio to develop the solution. Blend can be defined, in an overly simplified way, as a XAML editor. So while you would use Visual Studio to develop the actual functional code, Blend would be used to develop the user interface in XAML.

So now lets look at deployment options. The typical scenario when building say, a WPF application, would be to build the application, compile it into a .exe file, then give this to a client to install on their machine. Click once, again somewhat simplified, allows you to place the install at a location (could be a network drive or some url on the internet) that can be accessed by the client. The client can install the application from this location and be able to automatically receive updates. A click once app can be configured to install to the client's machine and run offline or to be run only while the client is online.
    A true WPF application can utilize click once to install to a client's machine. An XBAP application utilizes click once technology to be run from the web. An XBAP application is run in the client's browser. It requires the client to have certain files installed on their machine (the .net framework for example). This is because, while it is deployed from the web, it is running on the client's machine. Both of these options, the WPF application and the XBAP application are not really part of a web page. The WPF application runs on the desktop, the XBAP application runs within a browser window but not in the context of an html page. Silverlight can be run within an html page similar to flash.

If what you want is to have one or more sections of a web page that utilize XAML technology, you will want to use Silverlight.

Hopefully this gives you some more information to be able to make a decision on how to proceed.

Todd

MVP ASP/ASP.NET
    Monday, March 3, 2008 6:02 AM