plz help me RRS feed

• Question

• when i execute my excel application from vs2005 IDE, it runs properly but when i save the executed excel application to different location and run it, it gives me an error

what might been the problem

plz let me know

Thursday, February 23, 2006 4:54 PM

Answers

• assuming the error is about not finding the assembly, I'd say you forgot that an excel VSTO solution is comprised of at least two files - the excel file and the dll file.

Normally, when you create a project, the settings in the excel file tell it to look for the dll file (the assembly) in the same folder. however, when you copy just the excel file and not the dll, Excel will not find the dll and show an error.

to resolve that, you may want to change the stored location of the dll in the excel file and force it to look in a specific folder (not relative to the excel file), preferably on a network share so that you can send the excel file around to your colleauges without them getting errors.
    This change can be achieved in several ways, the most simpler of which is to download the "ApplicationManifestEditor" from microsoft. this application allows you to change the location of a dll. I wrote something similar with two improvements - allowing to change multiple files at once, and attaching xml schema to word documents that dont have a schema. I will try to find the time to publish this.

The microsoft Application Manifest Editor:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/odc_vsto2005_ta/html/Office_vstoApplicationManifestEditor.asp

Thursday, February 23, 2006 10:48 PM

All replies