none
How can i "listen" to the search requests from OWA and outlook and .... RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I want to listen to the search requests on the exchange server (outlook & OWA) and "edit" them before they go back.

My goal is to mix the results with results from another mailbox 

Please do not "NO YOU CAN'T" 

Thanks 

BTW - S.O.S

Thursday, October 17, 2013 5:49 PM

All replies

• For OWA you can listen and modify responses at the IIS level with an IIS module http://www.iis.net/learn/get-started/introduction-to-iis/iis-modules-overview or ISAPI filter in earlier version of IIS.

Within Outlook you'll need an Outlook Plugin and use the OOM events to capture the event see http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/a7e3889e-fab1-48f4-9fea-770008af5f25/capture-search-event-in-outlook-using-vsto?forum=outlookdev

Cheers
    Glen

Friday, October 18, 2013 3:13 AM
  • Hi Glen 

Per the OWA looks like a good  start - any more info what specifically i should "catch"  ? 

But per the outlook - I need a solution on the server side without any change on the client side (outlook)

Regards

Eran

Friday, October 18, 2013 6:46 AM
  • >> Per the OWA looks like a good  start - any more info what specifically I should "catch"  ? 

A module or ISAP filter will allow you to capture everything, modifying OWA Traffic this way isn't supported (but products like MessageWare use it). I've never seen anybody post an example of how to do it so its something you would need to engineer yourself.

>> But per the outlook - I need a solution on the server side without any change on the client side (outlook)

Every commercial product that does this that I know of uses Outlook Plugins. The Outlook Object Module offers the only supported way of doing something such as this. Exchange on the server side offers no API Entry points for doing something like this, some Antivirus products a while ago used to Shim the Exchange Store but support for these ended in Exchange 2000.

My suggestion would be you either go the Outlook Plugin route or build your own Interface to fulfil the searches you want.

Cheers
    Glen

Monday, October 21, 2013 1:55 AM