none
Code First Migrations & DB2 RRS feed

• Question

• I've recently been playing around with EF 4.3 Code First and DB2 (9.7.5), and everything has been going pretty well.

I then started to play with the Migrations, and that's where the fun really began.

I've implemented my own MigrationSqlGenerator for DB2, and I was able to get the tables created on the database.

DB2 has an issue though with the __MigrationHistory table, namely the underscores at the beginning of the name.  I had a stroke of genius, and I decided that since I'm controlling the DDL, I'll just rename it (#MigrationHistory).   Then I ran it and I realized that there is a 'hard-coded' "dbo.__MigrationHistory" reference in the DbMigrator (and its deeper layers).

Is there a way to change the name (and schema) of the __MigrationHistory either in EF 4.3 or EF5?

Are there any hidden tricks that I could use (I'm not above using reflection and changing internal values)?

Thursday, July 12, 2012 1:18 AM

Answers

All replies

• AFAIK, there's no way to modify the name, it is by design.

Go go Doraemon!

Monday, July 16, 2012 2:48 AM
  • Schema name can be changed at run time while creating the DBContext object in EF 4.3.

In the OnModelCreating() event - we need to write this line to change the schema name.

protected override void OnModelCreating(DbModelBuilder modelBuilder)
    {
                //Below line of code is used to ignore the PluralizingTableName convention. It means the generated tables will have pluralized names.
                modelBuilder.Conventions.Remove<PluralizingTableNameConvention>();

//In this line I have treated Employee as my entity

modelBuilder.Entity<Employee>().ToTable("Employee", "<your schema name>");

base.OnModelCreating(modelBuilder);
    }

This has worked for me!!

• Proposed as answer by Sharath K H Monday, July 30, 2012 12:14 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by ChrisThomas Monday, July 30, 2012 1:26 PM
    Monday, July 30, 2012 12:14 PM
  • For tables that you create you can change the schema with the method you suggested.

However the __MigrationHistory table is internal to Entity Framework.  I was talking to the team and they said they are working towards a solution to enable the name / schema of this table to be changed.

Monday, July 30, 2012 1:26 PM