Questions about isolated shell updates by Microsoft RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I was reading the MSDN docs on the isolated shell when I came across this section:

Allowing for Updates to your Application

Your installation program must allow for the possibility that your application will be updated, either by Microsoft updates or by your company's updates. For more information about updates, see Servicing Guidelines for Integrated or Isolated Shell Applications.

I'm wondering, in general, what type of updates Microsoft would make to my application based on the isolated shell?  Would it be e.g. security updates?  Compatibility updates (for e.g. a new version of Windows)?  Anything else?

Also, I understand that work is under way to provide a better offline help experience in VS 2010 SP1.  For an application based on the VS 2010 isolated shell, what will that mean for user of this application?  Will they be automatically updated, via Microsoft update, so that they get the new offline help experience with SP1?  Do I, as the author of an application based on the isolated shell need to update to a newer version of the isolated shell, make changes, and have customers re-install an updated application I provide?

Thanks,

Notre

Thursday, January 27, 2011 6:20 PM

All replies

• Hi Notre,

The core IDE components (msenv.dll, etc) which the isolated shell installs (when needed), are the components that would be updated by the service pack. I don't have a listing of the fixes or the assemblys/dlls that will be modifed by the SP, so I'm uncertain as to what area each fix applies. There will probably be a KB article or readme listing the various fixes published eventually (probably right after the final release). Yes the shell components will be updated, but not by Mcrosoft update. Generally speaking, I don't believe we push fixes through Microsoft Update for development tools (at least I dont' recall ever seeing this).

Concerning the help update, I believe the help improvements are included (provided of course you install the service pack).

Service Packs/hot fixes that apply to the integrated and isolated shells, should not require you to rebuild your isolated or integrated shell solutions.

Sincerely,

Ed Dore
    Friday, January 28, 2011 6:02 AM
  • Hi Ed,

The reason I brought up Microsoft Update was that the quote in the MSDN doc above mentions it.  I recall installing an update for VS 2005 to better support Vista, but I don't remember now if it was offered through MS update (presumably as an optional update).

That's good news that service packs (SP)/hotfixes (HF) will not require me to rebuild my isolated shell solution.  I'm a little unclear on the procedure, both from a developer and customer of my isolated shell app about how we go about getting updates from SPs and HFs.  As a developer, I don't need to recompile my isolated shell app - do I need to do anything at all (besides some sanity tests to make sure everything works)? 

As a customer of an ISV that uses the isolated shell, it sounds like I probably don't get updates delivered automatically via MS update.  How do I, as a customer that uses an isolated shell app, know an update to VS exists? And how do I, as that same customer, know that I should install such an update?  I realize that the splash screen for a isolated shell app says 'Powered by Visual Studio' but otherwise, it's not too obvious that as a customer I'm even using VS.  Is it up to the ISV (who created the isolated shell app) to recommend to their customers to get a certain SP or HF for VS?

Thanks,

Notre

Friday, January 28, 2011 7:16 PM
  • Hi Ed,

Do you have any further feedback on the questions above?  I'm new to the whole isolated shell thing (I did some past work with the VS 2005 PPE), so I'm just a little unclear on the logistics of some of this stuff, after doing an initial release of an isolated shell application.

Thank you,

Notre

Wednesday, February 2, 2011 9:42 PM
  • Hi Notre,

I don't know if there are plans to push updates (service packs or hotfixes) via the windows udpate mechanism. I believe the answer is no, but I'll see if I can get a PM to answer this for us. Generally speaking, if you need to ship a hotfix with your app, you'll need to contact support and arrange for a redist license. The other option is to just direct your customers to download said hotfix.

Ed....

Ed Dore
    • Proposed as answer by Hongye Sun - MSFT Friday, February 4, 2011 6:28 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Notre Friday, February 4, 2011 6:06 PM
    Thursday, February 3, 2011 4:48 AM
  • Thanks Ed, I appreciate any info you can provide.  And as for the ISV's work (beyond informing their customers) is it just a matter of installing the Visual Studio HF/SP and making sure the isolated shell app continues to work as expected?

Thanks again,

Notre

Thursday, February 3, 2011 5:31 PM
  • Hi Ed,

Did you get an opportunity to bring this up with the PM?

Also, can you provide any further clarifications on the ISV's work (please see above)?

Thank you!

Notre

Thursday, February 17, 2011 5:26 PM
  • Hi Notre,

There should be no additional work required, aside from a sanity check, to ensure didn't break anything with SP1. There is no requirement to rebuild or redist anything.

As for the help system, I don't believe any changes are required, but I'll check with them to be certain.

Sincerely,

Ed Dore
    Tuesday, March 1, 2011 7:51 PM
  • Thanks Ed.  I'll leave your answer 'open', until I hear confirmation re: help.

And, what about the push of updates via windows update? Did you receive any confirmation of that?

Thanks,

Notre

Tuesday, March 1, 2011 8:40 PM
  • From what I've been told, pushing SP1 via Windows Update is still under consideration. I'll post back as soon as I hear from someone on the Help team.

Ed Dore
    Thursday, March 3, 2011 5:42 AM
  • Concerning the help improvements. Just got confirmation that isolated shell products should automatically get the help improvements, no rebuilding of help content required.

Ed Dore
    Thursday, March 3, 2011 10:47 PM
  • Thanks Ed - what do you mean 'automatically get the help improvements'?  Does this mean through Windows/MS Update or some other automatic mechanism?

Notre

Thursday, March 3, 2011 10:57 PM
  • In addition to question about 'automatically get the help improvements' (please see above), I noticed that VS 2010 SP1 was just released so presumably the update (whatever form that takes) to the isolated shell is soon?

Thanks,

Notre

Thursday, March 10, 2011 6:16 PM
  • Hi Notre,

VS 2010 SP1 targets both integrated and isolated components. It applies to both VS 2010 and any isolated shell components (including the help system). As I mentioned earlier, no decision has been made yet as to whether SP1 will be picked up/pused by Windows Update.

Sincerely,

Ed Dore
    Sunday, March 13, 2011 5:11 AM