can't generate report because of too much data RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a report with 880 000 rows of data (with tendency to grow even bigger) and because of the size it doesn't generate. The sql syntax is pretty simple, I've used only one grouping in reporting services, but still because of the size of the data I want to get, I have problems with the report generation.

Any suggestions on what I can do?

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 8:00 AM

Answers

• Hi!

I have had similar encounter. Depending on your report's requirement you could, however, try to filter down to a more specific level as opposed to filling rows at higher hierarchies. In other words, make it more relevant?

A much more experienced person would need to help you out if the report you're generating is already what you need.

Hope this helps!

DT

• Proposed as answer by Jerry Nee Thursday, January 20, 2011 2:17 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jerry Nee Wednesday, January 26, 2011 9:20 AM
    Tuesday, January 18, 2011 8:09 AM
  • Okay if your customer is okay with viewing it in exported format, how about just calling a SSIS package from the report which dumps the data in an excel file which you can share with the customer.
    Tuesday, January 18, 2011 12:46 PM

All replies

• Hi!

I have had similar encounter. Depending on your report's requirement you could, however, try to filter down to a more specific level as opposed to filling rows at higher hierarchies. In other words, make it more relevant?

A much more experienced person would need to help you out if the report you're generating is already what you need.

Hope this helps!

DT

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 8:09 AM
  • >>>Any suggestions on what I can do?

Do you really need almost one million rows to show in SSRS??? Try filter out more rowes to reduce an output

Best Regards, Uri Dimant SQL Server MVP http://dimantdatabasesolutions.blogspot.com/ http://sqlblog.com/blogs/uri_dimant/
    Tuesday, January 18, 2011 8:21 AM
  • >>>Any suggestions on what I can do?

Do you really need almost one million rows to show in SSRS??? Try filter out more rowes to reduce an output

Best Regards, Uri Dimant SQL Server MVP http://dimantdatabasesolutions.blogspot.com/ http://sqlblog.com/blogs/uri_dimant/
    Tuesday, January 18, 2011 8:21 AM
  • I have some experience in making reports. And I suggested using filter, but the customer insist on having report with all the data. Don't know why, I think is ridiculous to list a report with thousands of pages, but again, it's what the customer wants.
    Tuesday, January 18, 2011 8:31 AM
  • You could try to break it down to 4 or 8 parts. Split your views into multiple parts by date views, or region (geographic location), or sales amount, etc.
    Tuesday, January 18, 2011 9:19 AM
  • Hi,

Having said your customer requirements to see entire data on one report @ one shot, better go create a subscription and put it in a fileshare.

Atleast, the customers will happy to see such a big report one shot in offline, not online :)

Regards, KarthikShanth. "Mark as Answer" if this helps you!

Shanth's techwitz

↑ Grab this Headline Animator

Disclaimer: The contents, I write here are my personal views, not the view of my employer and anyone else.
    Tuesday, January 18, 2011 10:28 AM
  • Hi,

Thanx for the reply. Since I haven't been working with fileshare in reporting services before, I have one question. 

Isn't that requiring generation of the report also?

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 12:21 PM
  • Okay if your customer is okay with viewing it in exported format, how about just calling a SSIS package from the report which dumps the data in an excel file which you can share with the customer.
    Tuesday, January 18, 2011 12:46 PM