none
app.config file not there for VS2008 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have an app ported over from VS2005 to VS2008. It contains settings scoped to the application. They are contained in the app.config file. When I build the project, I would expect to find the file appname.exe.config in the build folder, as was the case w/ VS2005. However, the config file is nowhere to be found. Where is this file or there a different mechanism in VS2008?

Thanks.

Dan

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 5:06 PM

Answers

• The proper way would be to create a new VS2008 project. 'Build it.' Then right-click the project and select 'Add existing item.'

A.D.T.

Friday, November 21, 2008 2:34 AM

All replies

• I don't have an answer as to why the app.config file is not automatically copied to the build folder. As near as I can tell from searching the web, this should work the same in VS2008 as it did in VS2005. Perhaps there is something wrong either with my installation or this project. I would still like to resolve this.

However, as a practical matter, I found that by manually copying and renaming app.config, it works fine.

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 9:05 PM
  • Hi Dan,

<snip> how did you 'port' the project over?

A.D.T.

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 9:08 PM
  •  

I created a new app in VS2005, then manually copied over chunks of code from the old version to the new. That way I figured all the sln files, etc, would be the correct format.

Dan

Friday, November 21, 2008 1:01 AM
  • The proper way would be to create a new VS2008 project. 'Build it.' Then right-click the project and select 'Add existing item.'

A.D.T.

Friday, November 21, 2008 2:34 AM