locked
Issue with Visual Studio 2005 Beta 2 and CISCO VPN Client RRS feed

  • Question

  • Everything works fine until I install VS 2005 Beta 2 (From DVD). 

    After the install and reboot, my network doesn't funciton.  Any attempts to change the network settings locks up.  IPCONFIG from the command prompt only displays "Windows IP Configuration" on one line and the returns to the command line (No Configuration Details at all). 

    If in uninstall the CISCO VPN Client, everything works again. But after reinstall, it does the same as before.  I have figured that it is related to the CISCO VPN Client somehow.

    I have played around and disabled the "Deterministic Network Enhancer" on the Network Addapters. It locks up when applying, but after a hard reboot it is unchecked and the network works again, but, of cource, my VPN Client does not.

    I have tried multiple versions of the VPN Client, CISCO TAC support is of no help on this.  It only happens on computers with a Wireless adapter (My desktop works fine with both installed).  This is very repeatable. I have tried this many time, several with a clean install of XP Pro and VS 2005 Beta 2.

    I have tried this with the Express editions of VB and VWD and no problems, everything works fine so I don't believe that it is anything to do with the .Net Framework.

    This problem existed in beta 1 as well and I have never resolved it. 

    Running on a laptop with:

    • Compaq X1000 (x1015us)
    • Clean Install
      • XP Pro SP2 (all updates)
      • Microsoft Office 2003 Pro (all updates)
      • CISCO VPN Client 4.0.6 (latest)
      • Intel Pro Wireless 2100 802.11b
      • RealTek 10/100 LAN

    Any help with this would be much appriciated.

    Monday, May 30, 2005 7:38 PM

Answers

  • I had similar issues. Uninstalling the device emulator (used with PocketPC development) "fixed" the problem for me.
    Saturday, June 4, 2005 8:29 AM
  • I ran into the same thing.  MS confirmed this to be a problem with a driver being installed with the beta.  It has been removed post beta 2 according to the bug site.  BTW: I don't believe it has anything to do with the Cisco client.
    Sunday, June 5, 2005 5:13 AM

All replies

  • I had similar issues. Uninstalling the device emulator (used with PocketPC development) "fixed" the problem for me.
    Saturday, June 4, 2005 8:29 AM
  • I ran into the same thing.  MS confirmed this to be a problem with a driver being installed with the beta.  It has been removed post beta 2 according to the bug site.  BTW: I don't believe it has anything to do with the Cisco client.
    Sunday, June 5, 2005 5:13 AM
  • Sorry for the delay and thanks for the reply.  After some tinkering around I noticed that removing the emulator also "fixed" the problem for me.  Unfortunately, this is one of the core items I really need. 

     

    I have figured out a workaround though, I just am not running the VS Beta on my laptop Big Smile.  A little bit inconvenient, but it was just for “testing” anyway.

    Thank you very much for your reply.

    Monday, June 13, 2005 10:22 AM