Publish VSTO Word add-in to a web page RRS feed

• Question

• I've the limited experience in VS and VB.net of just 1 small desktop app, published to a network share. My experience with web server/iis is even more limited.

What do I need to tell my webserver guy I need to publish a VSTO Word add-in so that the users can download and install from a web page? Is that even possible?

Thank you,
    Ken

Monday, November 2, 2020 4:15 PM

All replies

• Hello Ken,

Yes, it is possible. You need to publish a link to the ClickOnce application manifest on the web page. Be aware, only Internet Explorer understands such applications out of the box.

When publishing a ClickOnce application to the Web, a Web page is automatically generated and published along with the application. The default page contains the name of the application and links to install the application, install prerequisites, or access help on MSDN. Here is what the MSDN page states:

When publishing a ClickOnce application, a default Web page (publish.htm) is generated and published along with the application. This page contains the name of the application, a link to install the application and/or any prerequisites, and a link to a Help topic describing ClickOnce. The Publish Page property for your project allows you to specify a name for the Web page for your ClickOnce application.

Once the publish page has been specified, the next time you publish, it will be copied to the publish location; it will not be overwritten if you publish again. If you wish to customize the appearance of the page, you can do so without worrying about losing your changes. For more information, see How to: Customize the ClickOnce default Web page.

To your web server guys: you can deploy to any web server but you must associate the .application extension with the MIME type 'application/x-ms-application'. 

profile for Eugene Astafiev at Stack Overflow, Q&A for professional and enthusiast programmers

• Proposed as answer by KHURRAM RAHIM Saturday, January 2, 2021 12:07 PM
    Monday, November 2, 2020 6:49 PM
  • Thanks Eugene. Love those glasses in the profile pic by the way!

The Help page for the Publish tab of the Project Properties dialog gives the example of "http://servername/foldername." Does that mean the web site and page one would normally go to like http://mysite/mypage or is that something different that uses the actual server name like a UNC server path?

And if it's a usual web page then we'd have to have the web page established before I can publish, right?

Oy, sorry if I'm being thick here and thanks again,
    Ken

Tuesday, November 3, 2020 2:14 AM