TF402484 - team project has been deleted RRS feed

• Question

• I am getting this error whenever I try to do anything with TFS in visual Studio.

TF402484 - The <project name> team project has been deleted. Undo any pending changes to that project or branches from that project in your local workspace. Then retry the operation.

I cannot find any references to the deleted project in any of my changes etc. How do I get past this?

Lee

Monday, June 8, 2015 11:06 PM

Answers

• Hey this is the way I so call "fixed" this. I logged into the Web Interface and created the project which now made it available so the Visual Studio add-on would not crash. So now it works and I'll just leave that project out there with nothing in it.

Lee

• Marked as answer by Lee Taylor Monday, June 22, 2015 1:18 PM
    • Edited by Lee Taylor Tuesday, September 22, 2015 1:06 PM
    Monday, June 22, 2015 1:18 PM

All replies

• Hi Lee,

Thanks for your post.

What’s the version of your TFS and VS?

Can you find this deleted team project source folder in your current local workspace folder?

And this issue only happened on your client? Other users work with TFS Source Control fine on their clients?

If you can delete your current workspace, please try to delete your current workspace, then recreate in VS and remapping your source files.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, June 9, 2015 7:07 AM
  • Hi Lee,

Have you confirmed that? 

If there’s anything misunderstood, please describe your question in more detail and we will try to provide the better responses.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Wednesday, June 10, 2015 9:34 AM
  • Visual Studio is 2013; TFS is unknown it is the Microsoft Online version

Not sure what my local workspace folder is... Within VS I cannot view the folders in the projects, it gives the same error.

Not sure I can delete the current workspace, as I have changes that have not been checked it

I am the only client, there are no other users

Lee

Wednesday, June 10, 2015 7:27 PM
  • Hi Lee,

Thanks for your reply.

The “Microsoft Online” mean you’re using VS Online?

Please find the below steps to delete the workspace locally in vs.

1. Open the team explorer

2. Click source control explorer

3. In the nav bar of the tool window there is a drop down label "workspaces"

4. Extend it and click on the "workspaces..."option

5. The "Mange Workspaces" windows comes up. Click Edit and you can add/remove/edit your workspace. 

6.  Remove your deleted team project mapping entries in your Workspace.

Thursday, June 11, 2015 2:30 AM
  • I had exactly the same issue - I couldn't do item 6 as the deleted team project wasn't listed.

It appears that one of my pending changes was somehow part of the deleted team project. Once I removed the pending change, I could connect to my visual studio online account fine from visual studio without this error.

• Edited by G Davies Monday, June 15, 2015 9:35 PM
    Monday, June 15, 2015 9:16 PM
  • Hi Lee,  

As you said you’re using “Microsoft Online version”, so I think you’re using VS Online. For this VS Online issue, I moved to VS Online forum for the better response.

Tuesday, June 16, 2015 1:53 AM
  • Hi

Sorry for delay in response.

This seems to me like, few deleted project files left with pending changes. Please undo those files and try.

Please follow the steps to undo the pending changes of deleted project files in TFS.

In Team Explorer, click to Pending Changes ->

Select Excluded Changes section if there are any files which belong to deleted folder.

If yes, right click at the file name and choose Undo.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Sunil.HP

• Proposed as answer by Marco Ponticelli Tuesday, September 22, 2015 8:52 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Lee Taylor Tuesday, September 22, 2015 1:06 PM
    Monday, June 22, 2015 1:14 PM
  • That's not it. There are no references to the missing project except internally to TFS. And I can't find them.

Lee

Monday, June 22, 2015 1:17 PM
  • Hey this is the way I so call "fixed" this. I logged into the Web Interface and created the project which now made it available so the Visual Studio add-on would not crash. So now it works and I'll just leave that project out there with nothing in it.

Lee

• Marked as answer by Lee Taylor Monday, June 22, 2015 1:18 PM
    • Edited by Lee Taylor Tuesday, September 22, 2015 1:06 PM
    Monday, June 22, 2015 1:18 PM
  • I just had the same issue. Your solution pointed in the right direction, I just had to do a bit more, to solve all subsequent issues. Here’s the complete picture:

Issue:

We have a TFS project MyProject, mapped to C:\TFS​\MyProject. Now we create a VS solution, but next to the mapped path instead of below, i.e. under C:\TFS\MySolution, instead of C:\TFS​\MyProject\MySolution. Checkin.

TFS and/or VS now assume that MySolution is also a TFS project. No unbind and manually editing solution and project files helps. Opening source explorer in VS shows the error message "TF402484 - team project has been deleted", so you’re locked.

Solution:

1. Create a TFS project named MySolution. This allows VS to work again.

2. Adjust TFS mappings or move the VS solution below the mapped directory for the correct team project.

3. Unbind, also some undo checkout may be necessary.

4. Add the VS solution cleanly and checkin.

The last operation only checked in the solution and project files, no sources. TFS/VS kept on claiming that the source files are already under source control. Therefore:

5. Within source explorer compare server content against the local directory. It will properly report sources as not available on the server. Select the respective files and choose “reconcile”. This will add the files properly. Checkin.

6. Afterwards we could delete the TFS project MySolution, without further issues.

HIH

Alexander

Thursday, August 20, 2015 9:43 AM
  • this is too broken to use. I have been unable to check in my project for weeks.

I can't find any references to project.

I use an aggressive registry/work/virus cleaner. Could it have deleted an empty key?

dr Karron (drdbkarron) on facebook and drdbkarron@gmail.com

Friday, June 3, 2016 6:37 PM
  • How can I reset this totally and start fresh? Right now Team Foundation in Visual Studio is completely and utterly unusable. I can't share my code or move it from multiple machines at all. Where is this spurious reference to 'project' located? This will cause me to switch to git.

dr Karron (drdbkarron) on facebook and drdbkarron@gmail.com

Friday, June 3, 2016 7:02 PM
  • I was getting this error from another computer (other than the usual one I work on).

As such...

I fixed this by deleting all the files in my (local) physical work-space.  Once, I did that, it was able to rebind everyting correctly.

Monday, June 20, 2016 7:58 PM
  • Hi Sunil,

Thank you for your information, it works fine after changing the pending changes "Undo".

Thanks,

Sreeni

Wednesday, June 22, 2016 9:20 AM
  • Found solution on http://stackoverflow.com/questions/30741455/visual-studio-2013-team-project-has-been-deleted

"In Team Explorer, click to Pending Changes. you will see there are four section in it which is Comment, Related Work Items, Included Changes and Excluded Changes. Look at Excluded Changes section if there are any files which belong to deleted folder. If yes, right click at the file name and choose Undo."

mjda

Thursday, June 30, 2016 1:26 PM