none
SQL Server Installation under MS SQL Server 2008 in APPS by name

Question

• what is the reason for appearance of  "SQL Server Installation (64-bit)" shortcut under Microsoft SQL Server 2008 in "Apps by name" on Server 2012 R2 after fresh installation of SQL 2012 R2SP3? Sure there is one under Microsoft SQL Server 2012.

--- When you hit a wrong note its the next note that makes it good or bad. --- Miles Davis

Monday, February 13, 2017 6:39 PM

Answers

• Hi pob579,

Yes it’s there during my test, and it seems that it comes with Microsoft SQL Server 2008 setup support files. Since Microsoft SQL Server 2008 setup support files is installed and used by SQL Server 2012 Common files, I would suggest you just leave it there to avoid potential issues.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Regards,
    Lin

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by pob579 Tuesday, February 14, 2017 11:58 AM
    Tuesday, February 14, 2017 6:09 AM

All replies

• Hi pob579,

Yes it’s there during my test, and it seems that it comes with Microsoft SQL Server 2008 setup support files. Since Microsoft SQL Server 2008 setup support files is installed and used by SQL Server 2012 Common files, I would suggest you just leave it there to avoid potential issues.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Regards,
    Lin

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by pob579 Tuesday, February 14, 2017 11:58 AM
    Tuesday, February 14, 2017 6:09 AM
  • The only thing that I think is that Updates (patches) will be required when update agent will see 2008 files.

--- When you hit a wrong note its the next note that makes it good or bad. --- Miles Davis

Tuesday, February 14, 2017 12:00 PM