Device Security - Is it necessary? RRS feed

• Question

• We are running tests moving from PPC2003 to Windows Mobile 6.5.

We have many devices deployed in the field and they are locked down in a kiosk mode and I was wondering why would I not just set the security configuration to off?

Even if the device is cold booted the software is reinstalled and put back into kiosk mode automatically so I guess I am wondering what exactly the security configuration offers a customer like us where we manage the devices remotely and do not allow access to the OS by the user.

Thanks for any and all opinions and advice on the matter,

Stephen

Tuesday, March 29, 2011 1:56 PM

Answers

•  

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for posting in the MSDN forum.

As far as I know the security configuration is done by OEM, if you are not OEM developer, you cannot change all of these configurations.

There is a FAQ to talk about the Kiosk mode. I hope it can help you to make clear some points.

I have trouble developing the Kiosk Mode application in Windows Mobile

Best regards,

Jesse

Jesse Jiang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Jesse Jiang Wednesday, April 6, 2011 7:41 AM
    Thursday, March 31, 2011 3:13 AM
  • Security configurations in Windows Mobile governs whether applications have access to privileged APIs and registry keys depending on whether the application is signed or unsigned.  Security configurations are also responsible for showing prompts to the users when an unsigned application is launched and the security configuration is not set to OFF.

Since your devices are locked down into kiosk mode the user should not be able to do much with the system anyway. I hope you have blocked all the ways in which a third-party application can be downloaded, installed and executed on the device. If yes, setting the security configuration to OFF should be OK.

Question: Why do you want to set the security off? Are you having issues with installing your application updates?

Regards,
    Onkar

http://www.42gears.com
    [SureLock Studio: Locks down Windows Mobile devices into Kiosk mode]
    [SureMDM: Cloud-based Mobile Device Management (Free 15-day trial)]
    • Marked as answer by Jesse Jiang Wednesday, April 6, 2011 7:42 AM
    Friday, April 1, 2011 4:25 AM

All replies

•  

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for posting in the MSDN forum.

As far as I know the security configuration is done by OEM, if you are not OEM developer, you cannot change all of these configurations.

There is a FAQ to talk about the Kiosk mode. I hope it can help you to make clear some points.

I have trouble developing the Kiosk Mode application in Windows Mobile

Best regards,

Jesse

Jesse Jiang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Jesse Jiang Wednesday, April 6, 2011 7:41 AM
    Thursday, March 31, 2011 3:13 AM
  • Security configurations in Windows Mobile governs whether applications have access to privileged APIs and registry keys depending on whether the application is signed or unsigned.  Security configurations are also responsible for showing prompts to the users when an unsigned application is launched and the security configuration is not set to OFF.

Since your devices are locked down into kiosk mode the user should not be able to do much with the system anyway. I hope you have blocked all the ways in which a third-party application can be downloaded, installed and executed on the device. If yes, setting the security configuration to OFF should be OK.

Question: Why do you want to set the security off? Are you having issues with installing your application updates?

Regards,
    Onkar

http://www.42gears.com
    [SureLock Studio: Locks down Windows Mobile devices into Kiosk mode]
    [SureMDM: Cloud-based Mobile Device Management (Free 15-day trial)]
    • Marked as answer by Jesse Jiang Wednesday, April 6, 2011 7:42 AM
    Friday, April 1, 2011 4:25 AM