none
How to do a setup for an outlook COM (atl c++) addin ? RRS feed

• Question

• what need i write into the registry to do a setup for my outlook addin ?

I have put LoadBehavior=3 and I run a regsvr32/s but it is not sufficient...

the addin is for outlook 2013 and outlook 2016.(first a 64 bits version)
    • Edited by stephane_l2 Thursday, October 15, 2015 10:38 AM
    Thursday, October 15, 2015 10:37 AM

Answers

It's unclear where you specified the LoadBehavior parameter.

In order to have the necessary registry entries created for Outlook to load your add-in you should create a .RGS (registry script) file in your ATL project.  The ATL wizard created .RGS files for your COM registry entries but it doesn't know anything about what Outlook needs.

After you have created the .RGS file then the ATL registrar component will take care of writing the registry entries when it is invoked through your use of regsvr32.

This should take care of what you need if you want to use a self-registering DLL with regsvr32 as a setup tool.

However, you can make a more robust solution if you create an installer project that creates a Windows Installer setup for your add-in.  It would then appear in add/remove programs and would also benefit from the Windows Installer repair capabilities.

• Edited by RLWA32 Thursday, October 15, 2015 12:40 PM suggested windows installer
    • Marked as answer by stephane_l2 Thursday, October 15, 2015 1:02 PM
    Thursday, October 15, 2015 12:33 PM
  • OK I have found probably the problem:my setup doesn't execute the regsvr32 /s command,because after the setup I have called this command and the addin was installed.

so regsvr32 /s is sufficient and it's only a problem with inno setup  (I must found how to execute regsvr32  /s in inno).SO I considerate that my problem is solved here...

Thursday, October 15, 2015 1:02 PM

All replies

• Thursday, October 15, 2015 10:43 AM
  • thank you eugene....I will try it...
    Thursday, October 15, 2015 10:49 AM
  • Hi,it seems that I must include a manifest.(according to the previous link).

I must do it manually because I don't use vsto and  I have made my plugin in visual studio as an ATL COM project (without vsto).

is there anywhere an example of manifest for an outlook addin ? (for outlook 2013 or 2016)

Thursday, October 15, 2015 12:31 PM

It's unclear where you specified the LoadBehavior parameter.

In order to have the necessary registry entries created for Outlook to load your add-in you should create a .RGS (registry script) file in your ATL project.  The ATL wizard created .RGS files for your COM registry entries but it doesn't know anything about what Outlook needs.

After you have created the .RGS file then the ATL registrar component will take care of writing the registry entries when it is invoked through your use of regsvr32.

This should take care of what you need if you want to use a self-registering DLL with regsvr32 as a setup tool.

However, you can make a more robust solution if you create an installer project that creates a Windows Installer setup for your add-in.  It would then appear in add/remove programs and would also benefit from the Windows Installer repair capabilities.

• Edited by RLWA32 Thursday, October 15, 2015 12:40 PM suggested windows installer
    Thursday, October 15, 2015 12:33 PM
  •  Hi RLWA32 I have put a call to regsvr32 /s and I write LoadBehavior too in the setup script of the addin.(I use inno setup)

but it seems it is not sufficient.because I must add manually my addin in outlook after the setup.

so I thought I must perhaps make a manifest ? Is there any example of manifest anywhere ?

Thursday, October 15, 2015 12:38 PM
  • I'm not familiar with inno setup but it doesn't make sense to me that you should have to separately call regsvr32.

Can you use regedit to verify that the registry entries created by inno setup are complete and correct?

Visual Studio should have automatically created a manifest for your COM DLL.  If you open the DLL with Visual Studio and examine its resources you should find a MANIFEST resource with an id of 2.

Thursday, October 15, 2015 12:47 PM
  • OK I have found probably the problem:my setup doesn't execute the regsvr32 /s command,because after the setup I have called this command and the addin was installed.

so regsvr32 /s is sufficient and it's only a problem with inno setup  (I must found how to execute regsvr32  /s in inno).SO I considerate that my problem is solved here...

Thursday, October 15, 2015 1:02 PM