none
Excel - Files not following spec for MsoDrawing records RRS feed

• Question

• I have a couple of xls files (created by MS Excel) where MsoDrawing records don't follow what the XLS spec specifies. According to the spec that record will always contain an OfficeArtDgContainer, but in these files some of the MsoDrawing records have OfficeArtSpContainers instead. Is this just a mistake in the XLS spec?
    Monday, August 9, 2010 11:03 PM

Answers

• Marjin,

The documentation is incorrect and the rgChildRec field of the MsoDrawing record can be an OfficeArtSpContainer . The way to determine this is through the OfficeArtRecordHeader structure as specified in [MS-ODRAW] , Section 2.2.14 . In this case, OfficeArtSpContainer equates to a recType of 0xF004.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We will correct this documentation at our earliest opportunity.

Dominic Salemno
    Escalation Engineer
    Open Specifications

Thursday, September 16, 2010 7:58 PM

All replies

• Marijn,

One of our team members will be following up with you shortly in regards to your question.

Dominic Salemno
    Escalation Engineer
    US-CSS DSC Protocols Team

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 2:58 AM
  • Even worse, I have a file here in which various MsoDrawing records contain nothing more than a single OfficeArtClientTextbox structure. This is rather different from the the XLS spec seems to indicate, and also I'm not quite sure how to find the connection between this structure and the actual shape it belongs to.
    Monday, August 16, 2010 10:48 PM
  • Marijn,

I am looking into this for you. I will update you as things progress.

Dominic Salemno
    Escalation Engineer

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 1:40 PM
  • Marijn,

Could you send some sample files that show this behavior to dochelp (at) microsoft.com ?

Dominic Salemno
    Escalation Engineer

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 1:43 PM
  • Marijn,

I am still researching this issue for you.

Dominic Salemno
    Escalation Engineer

Wednesday, September 1, 2010 4:48 PM
  • marijn,

i am still researching this issue.

dominic salemno
    escalation engineer
    open specifications

Monday, September 13, 2010 7:28 PM
  • marjin,

do you have another file that exhibits this behavior? also, are you able to reproduce this particular behavior?

dominic salemno
    escalation engineer
    open specifications

Thursday, September 16, 2010 6:53 PM
  • Marjin,

The documentation is incorrect and the rgChildRec field of the MsoDrawing record can be an OfficeArtSpContainer . The way to determine this is through the OfficeArtRecordHeader structure as specified in [MS-ODRAW] , Section 2.2.14 . In this case, OfficeArtSpContainer equates to a recType of 0xF004.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We will correct this documentation at our earliest opportunity.

Dominic Salemno
    Escalation Engineer
    Open Specifications

Thursday, September 16, 2010 7:58 PM