none
Server and DirectX RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I've been working on a data ingestion server for a couple years now.  The OS we're using is XP Pro.  On top of XP Pro we're running SQL Express 2005, along with IIS and .net 2.0 web services.  Along with this, we have a c# script engine that's running 7k+ processes per day.  Some of these processes are using DirectX/XNA for image processing.

I believe we've gone beyond the limitations of our workstation/desktop OS, and need to migrate to a server version of the OS.  However, as I mention above, we're using DirectX/XNA along with a high end NVidia workstation card to some of our image processing.  The use of DirectX/XNA was nessicarsy to speed up some of our lengthy processing threads.

I'm being limited to a single box for everything listed above.  With the current setup and architecture, total CPU usage is typically pegged between 70 - 80%, so the box is getting a vigorous workout 24/7.  Several of our boxes are flashing srv warnings/errors like event ID 2022.  We've tried tweeking a few registry settings, scheduling daily defrags and etc.

Like I said above.  I think we're evolving here, and we need to migrate to server.  However, we have a considerable amount of processing that's using DirectX/XNA, so we need a substantial graphics card.

Finally the question:
    Is there a 3D graphics card that supports 2.0 shader family or better, that comes with a server OS driver for Windows?  I've checked some of the bigger names like NVidia, and I couldn't find one.  Any suggestions are welcome.

Todd F. Taylor
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 3:06 PM

Answers

• Many of the Quadro FX Cards come with certified drivers for Windows Server 2008, including 2008 64bit.  For example, the Fx 5800 card lists this release as current .

These are very, very capable graphics processors, and should work well in a server environment.

Reed Copsey, Jr. - http://reedcopsey.com
    • Marked as answer by Todd F. Taylor Friday, September 18, 2009 2:29 PM
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 4:28 PM

All replies

• Many of the Quadro FX Cards come with certified drivers for Windows Server 2008, including 2008 64bit.  For example, the Fx 5800 card lists this release as current .

These are very, very capable graphics processors, and should work well in a server environment.

Reed Copsey, Jr. - http://reedcopsey.com
    • Marked as answer by Todd F. Taylor Friday, September 18, 2009 2:29 PM
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 4:28 PM
  • Thanks.  We have a couple of the new quadro cards here, so I'll have to check one out.

It will be intereting to see if I can get away with running the Windows Server on our workstation boxes.  They're from Dell, so some of the components are integrated on the MB.  Hopefully the drivers available for the MB components will support the Server OS.
    Todd F. Taylor
    Friday, September 18, 2009 2:29 PM