Supported Video Cards RRS feed

• Question

• hi,

ok so i can't do this with my sucky video card.  assuming i could go out and get the best video card on the market today or even buy the meanest alienware gaming pc, would it support DX9.0 and Shader 2.0?

i think many of us smell enough opportunity coming that we'd upgrade, but *what* should we be upgrading to?

peace,

dave

Wednesday, September 27, 2006 7:30 PM

Answers

•  Dave Kaplan wrote:
    assuming i could go out and get the best video card on the market today or even buy the meanest alienware gaming pc, would it support DX9.0 and Shader 2.0?

Yes.

Dave Kaplan wrote:
    i think many of us smell enough opportunity coming that we'd upgrade, but *what* should we be upgrading to?

IMO, there's no reason to get something cutting edge unless you can afford to. There are plenty of middle-of-the-road cards that meet the requirements.

Wednesday, September 27, 2006 7:46 PM
  • If you *are* a cutting edge consumer don't forget that buying a card now will mean you need another cutting edge DX10 card in less than 6 months. Another reason to buy something more middle of the road.
    Wednesday, September 27, 2006 10:28 PM

All replies

•  Dave Kaplan wrote:
    assuming i could go out and get the best video card on the market today or even buy the meanest alienware gaming pc, would it support DX9.0 and Shader 2.0?

Yes.

Dave Kaplan wrote:

IMO, there's no reason to get something cutting edge unless you can afford to. There are plenty of middle-of-the-road cards that meet the requirements.

Wednesday, September 27, 2006 7:46 PM
  • If you *are* a cutting edge consumer don't forget that buying a card now will mean you need another cutting edge DX10 card in less than 6 months. Another reason to buy something more middle of the road.
    Wednesday, September 27, 2006 10:28 PM
  • I have the $40 GeForce 6200 in one of my computers that supports DX9 and Shader Model 3.0. It's obviously not a great video card, but it does work.
    Thursday, September 28, 2006 3:59 PM