SQL Trace in VSTS doesn't gives correct information RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

I have recently started using SQL trace in VSTS load test. 

In the load test result, in SQL trace, the information seems to be incorrect.

plz refer the image below:

For 2nd transaction, the duration is 943,910 which contradicts with startTime and endtime (which shows difference of 1 sec)

Also, duration of 943,910(approx 16 mins) is not possible as the query took less than a second to execute.

Also, noticed the difference in "Reads" field for the same query. The first four transactions are same but the value in "Reads" field is different (76 for first two, 46 for next two)

also, Could anybody please confirm what does filed "CPU" indicate(i.e. CPU time or %CPU Utilization)

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Shruti

Friday, October 18, 2013 12:25 PM

Answers

• Hello,

I would like to know which SQL Server you work with.

So if you work with SQL Server 2005 or later, the units of the "Duration" column which shows you how long it took to execute that stored procedure are microseconds. Then the time in Duration column can match the StartTime and EndTime.

And "Reads" and "CPU" column show the number of reads and the amount of CPU time (in milliseconds) that SQL took to execute that stored procedure. 

In my opinion, it is possible that the value of Reads for the same query is different since their Duration are different.

For more information, please see Bill’s answer in this thread:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/50c73890-e441-48fb-9865-e45d906795d6/sql-trace-query?forum=vststest

Especially to understand more about the meaning of the columns in the SQL trace data, please see: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms190762.aspx

Table LoadTestSqlTrace: What is the data in the VSTS load test results store

Thanks,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by Amanda Zhu Friday, October 25, 2013 1:31 AM
    Monday, October 21, 2013 5:08 AM