none
Combining Project 2010 & charts? RRS feed

• Question

• I've recently been tasked with managing the organization of monthly project discussions.

I am looking for the most efficient means of managing the timeline for planned and adhoc meetings, managing a ever changing list of projects, and keeping track of minutes and attendance.

I am hoping very much that Project2010 can help me with this.

There are monthly scheduled meetings with defined action items.
    There are ad-hoc meetings scheduled whenever they are required with dynamicly defined action items.
    There is a primary excel spreadsheet which defines all existing and completed action items.
    There are 6 core members that are expected to attend, and the posibility for unexpected people to give presentations.

I see great potential for Project2010 to be the ideal solution if it is possible to link some aspects of the project tree to items in the project excel document.

Is this feasilbe or somehow supported?

I've certainly loved the compatibility of excel, visio and sharepoint so far.

Thank you very much,

-Aaron

Wednesday, October 13, 2010 8:32 PM

Answers

• And the other projects / tasks / issues can readily be propagated downwind so that a authoritative list of what has been handled and what needs to be handled is maintained alongside scheduled meetings?

( a link to an example of what you're describing would be very much appreciated )

It was not clear to me that you need the list to be tied to meetings as well. That functionality is not built-in.

The issues and risks lists have an ability to link to project tasks, other risks and other issues and can be viewed as a comprehensive list of items to be resolved on the project.

But if you are looking for an action items list which is tied to meetings then I think you will need to investigate the development of a custom list or use a third party webpart/solution.

There are a number of meeting manager types of solutions here:

http://www.fileguru.com/SharePoint-Meeting-Manager/info

Jack Dahlgren blogs at:
    Project and Retrovention
    and rarely Twitter
    Friday, October 15, 2010 5:25 PM

All replies

• I've recently been tasked with managing the organization of monthly project discussions.

I am looking for the most efficient means of managing the timeline for planned and adhoc meetings, managing a ever changing list of projects, and keeping track of minutes and attendance.

I am hoping very much that Project2010 can help me with this.

There are monthly scheduled meetings with defined action items.
    There are ad-hoc meetings scheduled whenever they are required with dynamicly defined action items.
    There is a primary excel spreadsheet which defines all existing and completed action items.
    There are 6 core members that are expected to attend, and the posibility for unexpected people to give presentations.

I see great potential for Project2010 to be the ideal solution if it is possible to link some aspects of the project tree to items in the project excel document.

Is this feasilbe or somehow supported?

I've certainly loved the compatibility of excel, visio and sharepoint so far.

Thank you very much,

-Aaron

If you are using project server, you can use the issues list which is easy to link to project tasks, other issues, other risks by clicking on a button. You can extend the issues list with other fields if necessary (but be careful about deleting any of the built-in fields. You can also edit the list in datasheet view so it will look pretty much like excel. Like all sharepoint lists there is filtering, grouping and subscriptions to the list.

That is where I'd start. With custom programming you can do just about anything.

Jack Dahlgren blogs at:
    Project and Retrovention
    and rarely Twitter
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 5:09 AM
  • And the other projects / tasks / issues can readily be propagated downwind so that a authoritative list of what has been handled and what needs to be handled is maintained alongside scheduled meetings?

( a link to an example of what you're describing would be very much appreciated )
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 4:23 PM

It was not clear to me that you need the list to be tied to meetings as well. That functionality is not built-in.

The issues and risks lists have an ability to link to project tasks, other risks and other issues and can be viewed as a comprehensive list of items to be resolved on the project.

But if you are looking for an action items list which is tied to meetings then I think you will need to investigate the development of a custom list or use a third party webpart/solution.

There are a number of meeting manager types of solutions here:

http://www.fileguru.com/SharePoint-Meeting-Manager/info

Jack Dahlgren blogs at:
    Project and Retrovention
    and rarely Twitter
    Friday, October 15, 2010 5:25 PM