none
Stage level permissions in Project Server 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!

I am creating a custom Project server 2010 workflow that has following stages:

• initialize project (1)
    • supplement project (2)
    • approve (3)
    • execute (4)
    • close (5)
    What I have to achieve is this: Users in group Project Manager has R/W permissions for all PDPs in stages 1,3,4,5. But stage 2 has to be accessible only by users in group (lets say) Super Project Managers.

How can I achieve described functionality?

Thank you for all your help

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 12:01 PM

Answers

• If you take a look at the sample shipped with the SDK called "CustomActivityWorkflow shows how to create a custom workflow activity and how to use the custom activity in a Project Server workflow." this custom activity actually does something very similar to what you are requesting.  The scenario for this sample:

The custom activity described in this article gives custom project-level permissions to a specified user. In this example, the workflow grants the project owner category permissions to the project. This is useful in the “ideation” scenario, where the project creator can be a team member. As a team member, by default, the user does not have permission to edit the project after he or she creates it.

In this scenario, after the project reaches the first stage (Initial Review stage), the project owner is granted the category permissions that are necessary to edit the project. When the project moves to the next stage (Proposal Selection stage), the owner is able to add to the project schedule. The built-in stages are chosen for this example because they do not have required custom fields.

The SDK as I am sure you know can be downloaded from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=46007f25-b44e-4aa6-80ff-9c0e75835ad9&displaylang=en

Thanks to Bia for pointing me in the right direction.

Best regards,

Brian.

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    • Marked as answer by Tomaz_K Thursday, March 3, 2011 11:31 AM
    Friday, February 4, 2011 12:00 AM
    Owner

All replies

• One possible solution would be that before entering stage 2 (supplement project) in workflow I revoke permissions to project managers and after submitting workflow to stage 3 I re-grant permission to project managers via PSI calls.

For example via CreateProjectCategory and DeleteProjectCategory PSI calls.

What do you think about that? Is this a solid solution for this issue?

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 2:24 PM
  • Hi avion007,

i have query similar to your question so i thought of posting here - i have create a workflow and my scenario was:

1. stage A: user fill the PDP and submit -

2. no approval required, it will only move to the Stage B. and email notification let the other user know that his attention is required.

3. user has to review and fill information related to him on Stage B and then submit.

Now here is the issue, during stage B previous user can also access the project (since its his project) and able to modify the information he has filled and submitted earlier. where as ideally it shouldnt be the case, once he has filled and submited it should be read-only for him. I couldnt find any such property through which i can make it read only for the last trasaction user/group.

Also i have a concern about the solution you just proposed above. changing the group permission on the run time would also effect the other users of the same group who were not involved in this project. and its highly likely that other users of the same group were on a later stage of their project at the same time, and do need the appropriate permissions to do their work.

Lets see if someone else would come up with a better solution.

| Khurram Jamshed | Follow my blog about Enterprise Project Management Solution | http://khurramjamshed.blogspot.com |
    Tuesday, January 25, 2011 8:53 PM
  • Exactly the same issue, yes. Have you found anything yet?

I would really appreciate if someone could point us to right direction or at least told us if this is possible or we have to try other solutions.

One thing it may work is that when moving from stage 1 to stage 2 that I could create a task for super user. So stage would be read only and on task supper user would see all necessary fields.

Saturday, January 29, 2011 7:04 PM
  • Hi,

I am making enquiries - I do remember there was talk of a custom activity that would help with these scenarios - trying to find out if I imagined it or not...

Best regards,

Brian.

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Thursday, February 3, 2011 11:42 PM
    Owner
  • If you take a look at the sample shipped with the SDK called "CustomActivityWorkflow shows how to create a custom workflow activity and how to use the custom activity in a Project Server workflow." this custom activity actually does something very similar to what you are requesting.  The scenario for this sample:

The custom activity described in this article gives custom project-level permissions to a specified user. In this example, the workflow grants the project owner category permissions to the project. This is useful in the “ideation” scenario, where the project creator can be a team member. As a team member, by default, the user does not have permission to edit the project after he or she creates it.

In this scenario, after the project reaches the first stage (Initial Review stage), the project owner is granted the category permissions that are necessary to edit the project. When the project moves to the next stage (Proposal Selection stage), the owner is able to add to the project schedule. The built-in stages are chosen for this example because they do not have required custom fields.

The SDK as I am sure you know can be downloaded from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=46007f25-b44e-4aa6-80ff-9c0e75835ad9&displaylang=en

Thanks to Bia for pointing me in the right direction.

Best regards,

Brian.

• Marked as answer by Tomaz_K Thursday, March 3, 2011 11:31 AM
    Friday, February 4, 2011 12:00 AM
    Owner
  • Also adding links to Steve Haden's white paper - Hitchhiker’s guide to Demand Management which includes use of this activity.

White Paper: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=200608

Code sample: http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/PS2010DMSample

Best regards,

Brian.

Friday, February 4, 2011 5:01 PM
    Owner
  • Hey thanks Brian for the effort and help.

I have seen this white paper when it was first released though, let me go through it once again and see if its answers what i am looking for, will ping you back if required.

thanks.

| Khurram Jamshed | Follow my blog about Enterprise Project Management Solution | http://khurramjamshed.blogspot.com |
    Saturday, February 5, 2011 7:20 AM
  • Hi all!

Im trying to assign specific permissions to Submit a stage to a single person.

In the White Paper you linked seems very easy, but there isnt too much information about how to configure it, neither in the SDK.

I assigned to all properties in the Activity Library (added to my workflow) to True, and in ResourceName i binded the name of the resource I want, and in the Resource Data I binded to a new member (New Field) of the the type Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.Schema.ResourceDataSet.

Ok, but I how can we say that a specific person can Submit this stage? And after that, the rest of the people that is in the workflow restore the normal permissions?

THANKSS!

Miguel Soler
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 12:07 PM