none
MapTileLayer caching? RRS feed

• Question

• Are the objects downloaded from the tile source cached? I suspect not, but I didn't see a clear-cut answer in the forum or elsewhere.

Thanks,

Mark Peters

Friday, August 31, 2012 6:21 PM

Answers

• We don't document the cache format to allow us to change it as necessary.

Custom tiles supplied by a tile source are cached as long as you're not using the callback functionality on MapTileLayer in which case tiles are not cached other than the normal internet caching.

Monday, September 3, 2012 2:48 AM

All replies

• It looks like the tiles are cached, although the files that are in it on disk appear to be compressed or otherwise modified so that I can't verify by changing file extensions and opening them.

I haven't found any information on the cache format here or elsewhere - does anybody know what the format is? My goal is to verify for sure that the tiles being downloaded by the map are being cached.

Thanks,

Mark Peters

Friday, August 31, 2012 9:05 PM
  • We don't document the cache format to allow us to change it as necessary.

Custom tiles supplied by a tile source are cached as long as you're not using the callback functionality on MapTileLayer in which case tiles are not cached other than the normal internet caching.

Monday, September 3, 2012 2:48 AM
  • Can you elaborate on what you meant by the "Callback functioanlity" on the MapTileLayer class?  We didn't see the current Bing Maps "MapTileLayer" as being as flexible as the class in the WPF and WP7 versions... 
    Monday, September 3, 2012 11:48 AM
  • There's a callback method on MapTileLayer that allows you the same flexibility os the WPF and WP7 versions that is new to RTM. So new in fact that it hasn't made it to the documentation yet; I'll get that addressed for the next publish but in the meantime you can use code insight on MapTileLayer to figure it out. It operates the same way as the previous implementations where the callback is called to retrieve the URL for any given tile. Return an empty string if you don't want a tile for that grid.

Monday, September 3, 2012 4:56 PM