How do I configure sharepoint data to point different directory? RRS feed

• Question

• I have created 20 GB vhd and install my SharePoint on it. Everything I put as data will be written on that 20 GB vhd. But if I put all my data in shared folder, it will be filled out quickly and I will be out of space.  Is there anyway to store the new data other than the vhd and still be shared? For example for my shared folder, I want to put the data in another drive but I want them to be shared through SharePoint. In other words, how do I configure SharePoint data to point different directory?

I have created mapped network drive in another directory. But I don’t know how to tell SharePoint to use that directory to store new data. I have looked everywhere and asked everyone, no luck so far.

Friday, June 15, 2007 11:42 AM

All replies

• Per our support engineer:

I am extremely sorry for the delay in response due to high call volumes. The customer wants to know how he can configure SharePoint data to point different directory. SharePoint stores all content on the content database created for the site on the SQL Server. As SharePoint itself is used for data sharing and collaboration, I don’t find any reason to create shared folder for SharePoint except for backup directory. SharePoint Installation directories need not to be shared. SharePoint Indexes are shared and are by default located into the SharePoint installation location.

I need more clarification from the customer as to why they are creating the shared folder, where they have SQL server for SharePoint and for which data they want to change the storage partition.

Please post any additional information for the engineer and I'll make sure he gets it.

-brenda (ISV Buddy Team)

Thursday, July 5, 2007 2:45 PM
  • Hi there,

I guess am facing almost the same situation.

The technical team of my company wants to store manuals and drivers of our products in a SharePoint site or page.

I installed SharePoint on my C: partition cause i wanted to avoid errors. I was a newbie with SharePoint at the time so i decided to so, i did not know if it was a good practice to install SharePoint in another drive than C:

My C: drive is 74.3 GB, but i guess when i allow them to store drivers and other stuffs, it will quickly get full.
      Another concern is the backup, it will be hard to backup 50GB or more every friday!!!

So is there a possibility to point a SharePoint library document, page or site to store data in another partition or even disk?

Or can i include a Shared Folder to a library document, page or site? If so... i will install another drive on the server and make a share and publish the share in de doc library, page or site.

Thanks in advance,

Evaldo Santos

Wednesday, July 11, 2007 4:19 PM
  • Per the support team:

SharePoint stores the data on the content database created for that site. So all manuals, drivers, documents etc they uploaded on SharePoint are basically residing in the content database for the site. The explanation below is indicating that customer is having SQL server / MSDE  also on the same server on the C: and to prevent filling up the c: they should move the content database to the other drive. They should stop the SharePoint services on the server and should ask their SQL DBA to detach the content database for the site from SQL server and move to another drive (by copying .mdf and.ldf file ) and attach it back. They must ensure that this should not change the database owner. Let me know if customer has any question on it.

-brenda (ISV Buddy Team)

Thursday, July 12, 2007 10:12 PM
  • Evaldo,
    Sounds like you have duplicate files first in the content database that Sharepoint provides and then in a shared folder location that users are placing files for you to upload.  If this is the case when you upload a file remove it from the shared location so that you only have one version of the truth.

Correct me if I am wrong or if this does not make sense.
    • Proposed as answer by WorkerBee09 Tuesday, November 17, 2009 11:49 PM
    Thursday, November 5, 2009 2:36 PM
  • Hi All,

I wanted to know if there is any way I can connect a network drive on my network to a sharepoint document library or page etc .. so that my existing files be uploaded to the new sharepoint installation I made ? For eg-> I have a network drive "\\raj\AllFiles" which has a lots of files ( more than 100GB) and I want to import all those files into the sharepoint installation .... Is their anyway I can accomplish that ?

Looking forward to your response.

Thanks,
    Raj
    Monday, January 11, 2010 7:44 PM