none
Bluetooth LE: unable to pair Windows 8.1 with iOS peripheral RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to get my Windows 8.1 PC talking to an iOS device (iPad 3 right now) using Bluetooth LE. I'm not sure I care yet which one is the peripheral and which is the central. Right now I am making the iOS device the peripheral and the PC the central because the Windows API's don't seem to support the peripheral role. 

I am running one of a couple different applications on the iPad to make it take the role of BLE peripheral: LightBlue and one that I wrote.

Until recently I was able to use the Windows UI to pair with the iPad, however Windows paired it as a Bluetooth classic device, not as Bluetooth LE, so it wasn't actually correct, and as is probably expected I was unable to use the Windows BLE API's to do anything with it once paired.

Then yesterday I upgraded the iPad from iOS 6.something to iOS 7.0.4 and now I am no longer able to pair. The iOS device shows up in the modern UI's "PC and Devices" / Bluetooth list of BT devices, says "ready to pair" and pairing makes the attempt, then says "That didn't work, try again...". It is not sporadic, it is every time.

I am using a USB BT 4.0 dongle on the PC and it pairs with and talks to a TI CC2541 SensorTag BLE device without any problem.

Why am I unable to pair with an iOS peripheral and is there anything I can do about it?

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 6:08 PM

Answers

• Success!!! Windows 8.1 with Bing laptop using the Metro interface connects to the iPad 4th Gen iOS 8.3 by Windows asking the iPad to connect when the Windows device appears in the iPad's list.

If anybody can make this statement less specific, it would probably help everybody reading this.

It is not my fault if your computer combusts. If this helped, press the /\ arrow over ↖there. If it answers the question, click Propose as Answer ↓there. If you asked the question in the first place, click Mark as answer ↓below.

Sunday, April 19, 2015 5:35 PM

All replies

• No success yet, but more information:

I am using TI's CC2540 Wireless Connectivity Development kit and their Packet Sniffer app to capture packet exchanges. 

When pairing Windows to the TI CC2541 SensorTag I see:

1. SensorTag advertises with ADV_IND packets that have 9 byte PDU with payload 0x02 0x01 0x05 which I believe means Flags are "LE Limited Discoverable" and "BD/EDR (BT classic) not supported". TxAdd indicates it's using a public address.
    2. Windows sends a SCAN_REQ.
    3. SensorTag responds with SCAN_RSP with PDU which says Complete name = "SensorTag", incomplete list of UUIDs is 0x0A 0x00, and slave connection interval range is 100ms to 1000ms.
    4. Windows sends a CONNECT_REQ and they are off and running.

When pairing Windows to the iOS device running either LightBlue or my own app I see:

1. iOS advertises with ADV_IND packets with 24 byte PDU that says Flags = ("LE General Discoverable", dual-mode Controller, dual-mode Host), complete list of UUIDs is 0xEC 0x1C, and Complete name is "LightBlue". TxAdd indicates it's using a random address.
    2. Windows sends a SCAN_REQ.
    3. iOS reponds with a SCAN_RSP with 6 byte PDU, where the first 6 bytes is always the (advertiser?) address, so in other words a 0 byte payload. That seems to make sense since the advertising packets have complete information.
    4. Windows never sends the CONNECT_REQ, and pairing fails.

I am not aware of any problems with any of these packets, they look okay. But there are several differences between the two sequences and evidently Windows doesn't like the second sequence because it never sends the CONNECT_REQ.

Am I interpreting these packets correctly? Why doesn't Windows send the CONNECT_REQ packet to iOS?

• Edited by Ryan113 Tuesday, December 3, 2013 5:07 PM typo
    Tuesday, December 3, 2013 1:09 AM
  • Hi,

I'm currently trying to do the same thing :)

What is your status?

Thursday, February 13, 2014 7:48 AM
  • No change on my status and no new information.
    Thursday, February 13, 2014 4:11 PM
  • I meet the same questions...

MSDN:

Bluetooth Classic and Bluetooth Smart device must use Windows 8.1 [PC Settings] UI ([Device] > [Bluetooth]) to discovery and pairing and then run on suitable Bluetooth Windows Api processing.Classic and Bluetooth Smart device must use Windows 8.1 [PC Settings] UI ([Device] > [Bluetooth]) to discovery and pairing and then run on suitable Bluetooth Windows Api processing.

I try to use heart rate sample code to test, first step doesn't work....

Friday, February 21, 2014 10:56 AM
  • Any luck? I too experienced the same issues with windows 8.1 and LightBlue App.
    Monday, April 28, 2014 12:33 AM
  • Hi, I know it's a little late, but I'm also having the same issue.  Any luck so far?

Monday, October 27, 2014 2:29 AM
  • Have you had any success on this issue?

Tuesday, November 4, 2014 11:59 PM
  • Success!!! Windows 8.1 with Bing laptop using the Metro interface connects to the iPad 4th Gen iOS 8.3 by Windows asking the iPad to connect when the Windows device appears in the iPad's list.

If anybody can make this statement less specific, it would probably help everybody reading this.

It is not my fault if your computer combusts. If this helped, press the /\ arrow over ↖there. If it answers the question, click Propose as Answer ↓there. If you asked the question in the first place, click Mark as answer ↓below.

Sunday, April 19, 2015 5:35 PM

• Good to know you were able to pair your iPad Peripheral app with Windows 8.1. We are also trying to pair our iOS Peripheral app with Windows without any luck for last few weeks.

Our iPad Peripheral app is listed in Windows Bluetooth devices. But on click of 'Pair' button, we a message saying "Try again and make sure your device is discoverable".

Could you please give us more inputs / steps on pairing iPad BLE peripheral app with Windows 8.1 ?

Thanks

Thursday, April 23, 2015 10:04 AM
  • Erm... I just paired the iPad itself! I don't really have steps, or access to an iPad at the moment. It was just an experiment. I don't have a BLE app. Sorry.

Monday, May 18, 2015 9:39 AM
  • This is a known bug in the SensorTag firmware, see  https://e2e.ti.com/support/wireless_connectivity/f/538/t/410169

I have verified that after reflashing the device with the correct firmware, pairing with Windows works fine.

Monday, October 5, 2015 5:41 PM
  • Same here, did you find a solution ?

Thanks,

Friday, November 20, 2015 5:03 PM