none
Design tool not initiated

Question

• Hello,

I have created a new application(Universal Windows) using Visual Studio 2015 community and when i try to open MainPage.xaml, while xaml shows the code, design part gives error:

System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException
    app not initiated . (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8027025B)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.HostUtility.AppPackage.AppPackageNativeMethods.IApplicationActivationManager.ActivateApplication(String appUserModelId, String activationContext, ActivateOptions options, Int32& processId)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.HostUtility.AppPackage.DesignerWrtUtility.ActivateApplication(String appUserModelId, String activationContext, Object site, Boolean isRunningElevated)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.HostUtility.Platform.AppContainerProcessDomainFactory.ActivateApplicationInternal(String appUserModelId, String activationContext, Object site)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.HostUtility.Platform.AppContainerProcessDomainFactory.CreateDesignerProcess(String applicationPath, String clientPort, Uri hostUri, IDictionary environmentVariables, Int32& processId, Object& processData)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.DesignerContract.Isolation.Primitives.ProcessDomainFactory.ProcessIsolationDomain..ctor(ProcessDomainFactory factory, IIsolationBoundary boundary, AppDomainSetup appDomainInfo, IIsolationTarget isolationTarget, String baseDirectory)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.DesignerContract.Isolation.Primitives.ProcessDomainFactory.CreateIsolationDomain(IIsolationBoundary boundary)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.HostUtility.Platform.AppContainerProcessDomainFactory.CreateIsolationDomain(IIsolationBoundary boundary)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.DesignerContract.Isolation.Primitives.IsolationBoundary.Initialize()
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.DesignerContract.Isolation.Primitives.IsolationBoundary.CreateInstance[T](Type type)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.DesignerContract.Isolation.IsolatedObjectFactory.Initialize()
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.DesignerHost.Services.VSIsolationService.CreateObjectFactory(IIsolationTarget isolationTarget, IObjectCatalog catalog)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.DesignerContract.Isolation.IsolationService.CreateLease(IIsolationTarget isolationTarget)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.DesignerContract.IsolatedDesignerService.CreateLease(IIsolationTarget isolationTarget, CancellationToken cancelToken, DesignerServiceEntry& entry, IServiceProvider serviceOverrides)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.DesignerContract.IsolatedDesignerService.IsolatedDesignerView.CreateDesignerViewInfo(CancellationToken cancelToken)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.DesignerContract.Isolation.IsolatedTaskScheduler.InvokeWithCulture[T](CultureInfo culture, Func`2 func, CancellationToken cancelToken)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.DesignerContract.Isolation.IsolatedTaskScheduler.<>c__DisplayClass10_0`1.<StartTask>b__0()
       at System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1.InnerInvoke()
       at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()

• Edited by menorca Wednesday, February 24, 2016 8:22 PM
    Wednesday, February 24, 2016 8:21 PM

All replies

• Hi menorca,

Which version of Windows and is your UWP app a Windows 10 app or Windows 8.1 app? As far as I know, Windows 10 app can't load designer on Windows 8.1.

If your app version and Windows version are corresponding, please check whether you have checked below options when installing. If not, please check them and update from Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> Visual Studio Community 2015 -> Change -> Modify.

In addition, if your OS is Windows 10, please check whether there has any updates from All Programs -> Settings -> Update & Security -> Windows Update -> Check for Updates. And please make sure your Visual Studio 2015 has installed Update 1.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Thursday, February 25, 2016 6:55 AM
  • thanks the answer. going to try to answer ur questions:

yes my OS is Windows 10

the patch for windows 10 SDK is already installed, thought i keep getting the advice of that updated is available.

and when i tried to installed "Tools (1.2) and windows 10...:" it says that update 1 is found in the system. but when i begin any update I always get "An important update is available (Update 1)" but if i try to install it an error is reported and close (i get something like -2..... and a long number).

I hope this will help u to find out what is the problem!

• Edited by menorca Thursday, February 25, 2016 7:08 AM
    Thursday, February 25, 2016 7:07 AM
  • Hi menorca,

Please update your Windows 10 first from Windows Update -> Check for Updates.

Then please open the menu Help -> About Microsoft Visual Studio to check whether you have installed Update 1. If installed please repair your Visual Studio first and then check the "Tools(1.2) and Windows 10 SDK" to install.

If not installed, please repair your Visual Studio first and then start install Update 1 and then install the "Tools(1.2) and Windows 10 SDK".

>> but if i try to install it an error is reported and close (i get something like -2..... and a long number).

What do you mean that something like -2? Please share the detailed error here to help us analysis it. And please check the ActiveLog.xml under the path of %AppData%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0. This file will log all operations when you operate Visual Studio. Whether there has any error information when loading the designer.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Friday, February 26, 2016 1:17 AM
  • Thanks for replying. Well the Windows 10 is Updated. Process i followed:

Repair visual studio 2015 community.

download and install the version with update 1 from page https://www.visualstudio.com/downloads/download-visual-studio-vs get it from there where u can read "if u already have installed VS 2015 community it will install UPDATE 1..".

i have downloaded and installed the english version and then installed the language package.

after it is applied i get:

so Update 1 seems to be applied.

The next step is to apply all features from the same downloaded file.

and  when all is ok i get installed the following applications:

Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2015
    Versión 14.0.24720.00 Update 1
    Microsoft .NET Framework
    Versión 4.6.01038
    Versión instalada: Community
    LightSwitch for Visual Studio 2015   00322-20000-00000-AA372
    Microsoft LightSwitch for Visual Studio 2015
    Visual Basic 2015   00322-20000-00000-AA372
    Microsoft Visual Basic 2015
    Visual C# 2015   00322-20000-00000-AA372
    Microsoft Visual C# 2015
    Visual C++ 2015   00322-20000-00000-AA372
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2015
    Visual F# 2015   00322-20000-00000-AA372
    Microsoft Visual F# 2015
    Windows Phone SDK 8.0 - ESN   00322-20000-00000-AA372
    Windows Phone SDK 8.0 - ESN
    Administrador de paquetes NuGet   3.3.0
    Administrador de paquetes NuGet de Visual Studio. Para obtener más información acerca de NuGet, visite http://docs.nuget.org/.
    ASP.NET and Web Tools 2015 (RC1 Update 1)   14.1.11120.0
    ASP.NET and Web Tools 2015 (RC1 Update 1)
    ASP.NET Web Frameworks and Tools 2012.2   4.1.41102.0
    For additional information, visit http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=309563
    ASP.NET Web Frameworks and Tools 2013   5.2.40204.0
    For additional information, visit http://www.asp.net/
    Azure App Service Tools v2.8.2   14.0.20201.0
    Azure App Service Tools v2.8.2
    Common Azure Tools   1.7
    Provides common services for use by Azure Mobile Services and Microsoft Azure Tools.
    Crystal Reports para .NET Framework  
    Crystal Reports para .NET Framework

DataFactoryProject   1.0
    Microsoft Data Factory Package
    Debugging Tools for Windows   10.0.10586.0
    Integrates the Windows Debugger functionality (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=223405) in Visual Studio.
    GitHub.VisualStudio   1.0
    A Visual Studio Extension that brings the GitHub Flow into Visual Studio.
    Herramientas de servicios móviles de Microsoft Azure   1.4
    Herramientas de servicios móviles de Microsoft Azure
    KofePackagePackage Extension   1.0
    KofePackagePackage Visual Studio Extension Detailed Info
    Microsoft Azure Data Factory Node Node   1.0
    Azure Data Factory extension for Visual Studio Server Explorer.
    Microsoft Azure HDInsight HQL Service   2.0.2900.0
    Language service for Hive query
    Microsoft Azure HDInsight Tools for Visual Studio   2.0.2900.0
    An integrated development environment for HDInsight application development.
    Microsoft Azure Tools   2.7
    Microsoft Azure Tools for Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 - v2.7.30818.1601
    Microsoft Azure Tools   2.8
    Microsoft Azure Tools for Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 - v2.8.40211.2
    Microsoft MI-Based Debugger   1.0
    Provides support for connecting Visual Studio to MI compatible debuggers
    Office Developer Tools for Visual Studio 2015 ENU   14.0.23116
    Microsoft Office Developer Tools for Visual Studio 2015 ENU
    PreEmptive Analytics Visualizer   1.2
    Extensión de Microsoft Visual Studio para visualizar los resúmenes agregados desde el producto PreEmptive Analytics.
    Python Tools for Visual Studio   2.2.31124.00
    Python Tools for Visual Studio provides IntelliSense, projects, templates, Interactive windows, and other support for Python developers.
    Python Tools for Visual Studio - Django Integration   2.2.31124.00
    Provides templates and integration for the Django web framework.
    Python Tools for Visual Studio - Profiling Support   2.2.31124.00
    Profiling support for Python projects.
    SQL Server Data Tools   14.0.50730.0
    Microsoft SQL Server Data Tools
    TypeScript   1.7.6.0
    TypeScript for Microsoft Visual Studio
    Visual C++ for Cross Platform Mobile Development   1.0
    Visual C++ for Cross Platform Mobile Development
    Visual C++ for Cross Platform Mobile Development   1.0
    Visual C++ for Cross Platform Mobile Development
    Visual Studio Tools for Unity   2.2.0.0
    Visual Studio Tools for Unity
    Visual Studio Tools para Apache Cordova   Update 6
    Visual Studio Tools para Apache Cordova
    Visual Studio Tools para las Aplicaciones Windows universales   14.0.24720.00
    Visual Studio Tools para las Aplicaciones Windows universal permiten crear una experiencia de applicación universall única que puede llegar a todos los dispositivos que ejecutan Windows 10: teléfono, tablet, computadora y más. Incluye el kit de desarrollo de software de Microsoft Windows 10.
    Windows Driver Kit   10.0.10586.0
    Headers, libraries, and tools needed to develop, debug, and test Windows drivers (msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/gg487428.aspx)
    Xamarin   3.11.836.0 (ed5c750)
    Visual Studio extension to enable development for Xamarin.iOS and Xamarin.Android.
    Xamarin.Android   5.1.5.3 (f98871a95a479f6d71b3067b7e5834d41fcb2118)
    Visual Studio plugin to enable development for Xamarin.Android.
    Xamarin.iOS   8.10.4.0 (6db87c53c073f4af2f5247fb738a27ea08c094fd)
    Visual Studio extension to enable development for Xamarin.iOS.
    Xamarin.iOS Unified Migration   1.0
    Automated migration for Xamarin iOS Classic projects to Unified

Xamarin.TestCloud.Integration   1.0
    Early preview of Xamarin Test Cloud integration

but when i open a project made with template Universal Windows, designer is not loaded and get the infamous:

System.Exception
    El paquete proporcionado ya está instalado. Se bloqueó la reinstalación del paquete. Compruebe el registro de eventos AppXDeployment-Server para más detalles.

Windows no puede registrar el paquete e90386cd-54fd-41ae-8de3-b5b562a1200d porque está en modo de desarrollo y el paquete ya está instalado. Incremente el número de versión del paquete que se va a registrar o quite el paquete antiguo de cada usuario del sistema antes de registrar este paquete.
       en Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.HostUtility.Platform.AppContainerProcessDomainFactory.CreateDesignerProcess(String applicationPath, String clientPort, Uri hostUri, IDictionary environmentVariables, Int32& processId, Object& processData)
       en Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.DesignerContract.Isolation.Primitives.ProcessDomainFactory.ProcessIsolationDomain..ctor(ProcessDomainFactory factory, IIsolationBoundary boundary, AppDomainSetup appDomainInfo, IIsolationTarget isolationTarget, String baseDirectory)
       en Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.DesignerContract.Isolation.Primitives.ProcessDomainFactory.CreateIsolationDomain(IIsolationBoundary boundary)
       en Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.HostUtility.Platform.AppContainerProcessDomainFactory.CreateIsolationDomain(IIsolationBoundary boundary)
       en Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.DesignerContract.Isolation.Primitives.IsolationBoundary.Initialize()
       en Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.DesignerContract.Isolation.Primitives.IsolationBoundary.CreateInstance[T](Type type)
       en Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.DesignerContract.Isolation.IsolatedObjectFactory.Initialize()
       en Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.DesignerHost.Services.VSIsolationService.CreateObjectFactory(IIsolationTarget isolationTarget, IObjectCatalog catalog)
       en Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.DesignerContract.Isolation.IsolationService.CreateLease(IIsolationTarget isolationTarget)
       en Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.DesignerContract.Isolation.IsolationService.CreateLease(IIsolationTarget isolationTarget)
       en Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.DesignerContract.IsolatedDesignerService.CreateLease(IIsolationTarget isolationTarget, CancellationToken cancelToken, DesignerServiceEntry& entry, IServiceProvider serviceOverrides)
       en Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.DesignerContract.IsolatedDesignerService.IsolatedDesignerView.CreateDesignerViewInfo(CancellationToken cancelToken)
       en Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.DesignerContract.Isolation.IsolatedTaskScheduler.InvokeWithCulture[T](CultureInfo culture, Func`2 func, CancellationToken cancelToken)
       en Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.DesignerContract.Isolation.IsolatedTaskScheduler.<>c__DisplayClass10_0`1.<StartTask>b__0()
       en System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1.InnerInvoke()
       en System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()

the most interesting part is (now in English, i chage the language of visual studio in options) the bolded one in spanish:

System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException
    La aplicación no se inició. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8027025B)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.HostUtility.AppPackage.AppPackageNativeMethods.IApplicationActivationManager.ActivateApplication(String appUserModelId, String activationContext, ActivateOptions options, Int32& processId)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.HostUtility.AppPackage.DesignerWrtUtility.ActivateApplication(String appUserModelId, String activationContext, Object site, Boolean isRunningElevated)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.HostUtility.Platform.AppContainerProcessDomainFactory.ActivateApplicationInternal(String appUserModelId, String activationContext, Object site)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.HostUtility.Platform.AppContainerProcessDomainFactory.CreateDesignerProcess(String applicationPath, String clientPort, Uri hostUri, IDictionary environmentVariables, Int32& processId, Object& processData)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.DesignerContract.Isolation.Primitives.ProcessDomainFactory.ProcessIsolationDomain..ctor(ProcessDomainFactory factory, IIsolationBoundary boundary, AppDomainSetup appDomainInfo, IIsolationTarget isolationTarget, String baseDirectory)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.DesignerContract.Isolation.Primitives.ProcessDomainFactory.CreateIsolationDomain(IIsolationBoundary boundary)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.HostUtility.Platform.AppContainerProcessDomainFactory.CreateIsolationDomain(IIsolationBoundary boundary)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.DesignerContract.Isolation.Primitives.IsolationBoundary.Initialize()
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.DesignerContract.Isolation.Primitives.IsolationBoundary.CreateInstance[T](Type type)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.DesignerContract.Isolation.IsolatedObjectFactory.Initialize()
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.DesignerHost.Services.VSIsolationService.CreateObjectFactory(IIsolationTarget isolationTarget, IObjectCatalog catalog)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.DesignerContract.Isolation.IsolationService.CreateLease(IIsolationTarget isolationTarget)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.DesignerContract.IsolatedDesignerService.CreateLease(IIsolationTarget isolationTarget, CancellationToken cancelToken, DesignerServiceEntry& entry, IServiceProvider serviceOverrides)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.DesignerContract.IsolatedDesignerService.IsolatedDesignerView.CreateDesignerViewInfo(CancellationToken cancelToken)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.DesignerContract.Isolation.IsolatedTaskScheduler.InvokeWithCulture[T](CultureInfo culture, Func`2 func, CancellationToken cancelToken)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.DesignerContract.Isolation.IsolatedTaskScheduler.<>c__DisplayClass10_0`1.<StartTask>b__0()
       at System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1.InnerInvoke()
       at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()

different text for same error. But the curious thing is: i have several projects where i use UserControls designed with XAML (WPF) and i can open them in designer and no problem....

Saturday, February 27, 2016 8:57 AM
  • Hi menorca,

So this problem is just occurred with Universal app. Please try restore all default template with command of "devenv /installvstemplates" to check whether it is caused by the broken project template.

Then please try repair your Visual Studio first. If it doesn't work, please use http://aka.ms/vscollect  to gather the VS and .Net Frameowrk installation logs. After using it, you will find vslogs.cab from %temp% folder. Please upload the file to Onedrive and share the link here.  Let me help you check whether there has any installation error.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Monday, February 29, 2016 2:35 AM
  • Ok done... not working my VSlogs.zip is in my OneDrive public area:

https://onedrive.live.com/?id=3F3B292440D2366A%21117&cid=3F3B292440D2366A

i hope u can analize it

best regards

Leo

Monday, February 29, 2016 8:53 PM
  • Hi Leo,

The OneDrive public link is broken which tell me "This item might not exist or is no longer available". Please re-share a valid again. Thanks.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Tuesday, March 1, 2016 3:04 AM
  • i hope it will work for u. This works for me thanks
    Tuesday, March 1, 2016 6:56 AM
  • Hi Leo,

The link still doesn't work for me. It shown as below image.

According to the error message in your second reply, please check and share the error detailed information in the EventViewer : Applications and Service \ Microsoft \ Windows \ AppxDeployment - Server.

In addition, please make sure your Windows 10 has set as Developer Mode before you open your Visual Studio to load the UWP app.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Wednesday, March 2, 2016 1:16 AM
  • Hello, here it comes again My OneDrive, hope it works now. Windows 10 is already in the developer mode
    Wednesday, March 2, 2016 6:17 AM
  • Hi Leo,

The installation log can be downloaded now, but there just one SSDTDBSvcExternals log file which is SQL Server Data Tools installation log, not Visual Studio installation log. And when I try to extract the file, it failed.

Is this file collected by http://aka.ms/vscollect  directly? If yes, there may be something wrong with your installation. Please try uninstall Visual Studio from control panel and uninstall all related msi with msiinv tool, which will list all installed msi on your OS.

Please run the Visual Studio Installer as administrator and make sure you have internet connected when installing.

In addition, do you have check the EventViewer? Please share the detailed information here.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Thursday, March 3, 2016 1:09 AM
  • Thanks WEIWEI, but seems that the only solution you always have when you dont know what happens is uninstall... and then we will see. There are more than 600 products installed   in my computer and to go through which one has to be uninstalled, after uninstall VS 2015 community,  is a bit weird... and not speaking about time consuming for all the company. Why dont you try to do the things a bit more coherent and find first why it is "something installed wrongly" and then make the installation easy enough to be "auto uninstallable"?. and i dont have to look one by one all installed products and decide (with which criteria?) if the one you look at is from visual studio or not?. I guess the problem is deeper... and basically urs!.. i use ur tool. SO give me a tool to uninstall EVERYTHING I HAVE HAD TO ADD to make it workable. MEF is great but leaves behind a trace of garbage if you dont control it. And basically VS 2015 (and from 2010) you dont control well what is added to the main product. I am sorry but i need a real solution not a work of hours and hours by hand and with the possibility to damage permanently all my OS. Do you think that you can HELP ALL of us with this kind of problems?... after reinstalling, repairing once and once again i am suspicious i have broken the Windows Store in my computer.... and thats not acceptable!

• Edited by menorca Thursday, March 3, 2016 9:19 AM
    Thursday, March 3, 2016 9:09 AM
  • Hi menorca,

There doesn't has more installation log and event view information. And I also can't reproduce this issue in my side. So I just can help you troubleshoot this problem for some possible reasons.

If you don't accept reinstalling, please try check whether you are install Visual Studio on system driver or other driver. If installed other driver, please make sure the driver/installation folder has full permissions to load the designer.

Then please try clear the caches file under C:\Users\{user}\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0\Designer\ShadowCache, which often causes the designer load failed.

In addition, there have other communities has this issue and submit the problem to Visual Studio Connect. I suggest you vote and add comments for the feedback. I think the report team experts will evaluate this problem seriously and give us the Email update. Thanks for your feedback for the VS products.

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/1147217/system-runtime-interopservices-comexception-the-app-didnt-start-exception-from-hresult-0x8027025b

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Friday, March 4, 2016 1:42 AM
  • Hi,

well the problem with XAML designer in UW apps, reminds there after repair, reinstall, and reset all settings.... and whatever u do.

i get this error, when i try to load xaml designer:

The packed is already installed. Reinstallation was blocked. Look at register  AppXDeployment-Server of events for details.

Windows cannot register package 8fd011a4-fc2f-4b68-9ce7-99666a6514a2  cause it is in development mode and the package is already installed. DEINSTALL this package from all users.... etc.

Can any one HELP with this  problem??? NOBODY CAN SOLVE IT???

• Edited by menorca Wednesday, March 15, 2017 8:16 AM
    Wednesday, March 15, 2017 8:15 AM