The remote server returned an error: (500) Internal Server Error RRS feed

• Question

• We are having this recurring error message on our Test Report Manager Portal when trying to run a report. I have Googled this and have found references to the Report Manager Config file. I have never gotten into the config files and looking at them. Does this sound like a config file issue? And guidance and help in troubleshooting this would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks for your review and am hopeful for a reply.

Monday, August 27, 2018 9:05 PM

Answers

• So the reason this was happening...

The remote server returned an error: (500) Internal Server Error.

Was caused because the Timeout value in the Web.config file was the maximum. We changed the XML <httpRuntime execution Timeout="9000" /> ...9000 is the default. So you may want to check both the ReportServer Web.config file as well as the ReportManager Web.config file.

• Marked as answer by ITBobbyP Wednesday, September 12, 2018 2:46 PM
    Wednesday, September 12, 2018 2:46 PM

All replies

• Hi ITBobbyP,

You could check error log to see whether there is any detailed error information, if there is, please inform me. 

In addition, you also could check whether the TCP/IP protocol setting is enabled in SQL Server configuration manager. And you could restart SQL, Reporting service and SQL browser service to check whether it could work or not.

Best Regards,
    Zoe Zhi

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, August 28, 2018 2:15 AM
  • See Reporting Services Log Files and Sources for how to find the log files and how the content of them looks like.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Tuesday, August 28, 2018 5:49 AM
  • Interestingly enough...a couple of the reports that this error happens on...

Are using #Temporary Tables. Could this possibly be that the Report Manager Portal cannot seem to allocate #Temp Tables and why sometimes the report does run successfully?

I'm reaching here but I'm at the end of my rope.

When I look at tempdb Properties in SQL Server Management Studio I see...

Size: 6656.00MB

Space Available: 5619.98 MB

So space doesn't seem to be an issue. The reports aren't that big. I just don't know what else to look for in regards to setting up tempdb for SSRS and Report Manager Portal.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thursday, September 6, 2018 4:04 PM
  • Now our DBA is telling us that when this fails and produces this error, it seems as thought the Report Manager Portal isn't even making a database call. So now this looks and smells like its a Report Manager Portal issue to the Database. Now this gets really beyond my knowledge because now it seems as though it might have something to do with the web service from Report Manager Portal to where the data actually resides. And for informational purposes, in our Test region where this is happening, [ReportServer] Database resides on the same server as our Data Database.

Any thoughts on this???

Friday, September 7, 2018 2:23 PM
  • So the reason this was happening...

Was caused because the Timeout value in the Web.config file was the maximum. We changed the XML <httpRuntime execution Timeout="9000" /> ...9000 is the default. So you may want to check both the ReportServer Web.config file as well as the ReportManager Web.config file.

• Marked as answer by ITBobbyP Wednesday, September 12, 2018 2:46 PM
    Wednesday, September 12, 2018 2:46 PM