After this latest Windows 8.1 upgrade my app does not work

Question

• After this latest upgrade of Windows 8.1 and restart, my app on both laptops were frozen.

That means a user who purchased my app will not work after the new upgrade of Win8.1 was auto installed.

My video file of .mov and .wmv were not recognized anymore. Sometimes there is an error of lack of framework.

But the exception was raised.

The new upgrade does not keep the compatibility. It changed the semantics of API.

Anyway to uninstall the new upgrade? 

Friday, August 29, 2014 2:43 AM

All replies

• Given that the problem affects your App's users as well I would suggest to update the App to fix the issues you are seeing.
    Friday, August 29, 2014 8:50 AM
  • I used the debugger to trace the trouble.

The StorageFile^ file to access file->ContentType did not return MIME String anymore but return a NULL pointer!

I opened a file as "ms-appx:///Assets/Default.wmv" inside the Assets. The file looks opened fine.

Is it a bug or what can I do?

Friday, August 29, 2014 4:11 PM
  • I am sure that it is a bug of the latest upgrade on file->ContentType. When I removed it my app worked fine. 
    Friday, August 29, 2014 4:19 PM
  • Hi Charlie,

Thanks for your feedback.

Can I summarize your issue as: After latest upgrade of Windows 8.1(KB2990532?), the StorageFile.ContentType | contentType property does not return a correct file type?

Once you confirm it, I will fire a bug report to senior engineers to see if this is a known issue.

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Tuesday, September 9, 2014 7:08 AM
  • My latest upgrade is

Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB2975719)

that is the latest available on my Windows 8.1.

Right now videos displayed in FileOpenAsync dialogbox have no thumbnail pictures now.

It is more serious than file->ContentType.

Anyway ContentType does not return the right String.

Here is the snapshot.

Tuesday, September 9, 2014 2:00 PM
  • Thanks for your feedback, currently I do not have KB2975719 installed with my machine, I cannot test it right now, but I read the documentation, seems there is no useful information: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2975719

However I just want to ask, the update is released on September 2, 2014, how could you find the problem on Aug.29?

Anyway I will consult some seniors to see if this is a known issue. It may take some time, and thanks for your understanding.

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Wednesday, September 10, 2014 6:06 AM
  • One more question, if you open the video by Video App from your system or use FileOpenPicker filter your image/video file from your app, will the same issue happened?

--James

Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Wednesday, September 10, 2014 7:24 AM
  • I checked my upgrade history:

In 2014-08-13 I upgraded "KB2979500" I am not sure if at this time the bug has existed.

In 2014-08-27 I upgraded "Security Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB2993651)

at that time is the first crash of my app. Then I traced the file->ContentType problem. Removed to use ContentType app worked.

In 2014-09-04 I upgraded KB2975719 then there is the error snapshot picture. no using ContentType did not work anymore for my app.

The thumbnails of pictures were displayed only thumbnails of videos were not displayed. But the Videos in Metro UI can played fine.

Wednesday, September 10, 2014 12:10 PM
  • Hi Charlie,

Thanks for your information, and I updated my machine with same updates as you mentioned:

However in my app, ContentType works correctly without any problem, I can also see the thumbnail images:

I would recommend you to test your app in another machine, sounds like a environment issue, I cannot reproduce it.

--James

Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Monday, September 15, 2014 1:57 AM
  • 	
    String^ strCenter2 = "ms-appx:///Assets/DefaultCenter.mov";

Uri^ uriCenter2;
    if (strCenter2->Data()[0] == L'm') {

uriCenter2 = ref new Uri(strCenter2);
      _bUriCenter = (uriCenter2->SchemeName == "ms-appx");

} else {
      _bUriCenter = false;
    }

create_task( OpenStorageFileAsync( uriCenter2 ).then([=](StorageFile^ file)	{		
      if (file != nullptr) {			
        String^ sType = file->ContentType;

// here sType is 0x0
      } 
    })
    .then([=](task<void> t)
    {
      try
      {
        t.get();
        // .get() didn't throw, so we succeeded.
        OutputDebugString(L"Success.");
      }
      catch (Platform::Exception^ e)
      {
      }
    }

Here is my app code clip. I think the error is on the using of ms-appx:///Assets/file.mov

When I change it to use file.png file->ContentType returned the right image/png

Monday, September 15, 2014 4:31 PM
  • I compiled "Media Extensions" sample of Microsoft. No file displayed when load a file. So I added v->Append(".wmv") before PickSingleFileAndSet. some files can be played well but some files simply disappeared. No thumbnail displayed. Looks like my Windows 8.1 system was corrupted.

Monday, September 15, 2014 5:51 PM
  • Hi Charlie,

Did you have your system fixed?

--James

Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Thursday, September 25, 2014 12:36 PM
  • Sorry no fixed. I have two Windows 8.1 laptop, one is ultrabook, another is Dell XPS 12 2in1. Both have the same problem after upgrade. I downloaded another app in Windows Store, the video thumbnail picture did not display in FileOpenPicker as well. My VS 2013 Express is now Upgrade 3. Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center was auto upgraded to the latest version. 

My Desktop program worked fine as usual. 

I did not install any other metro apps except my app and later another free app. 

Thursday, September 25, 2014 1:15 PM
  • Below is the snapshot that I run Video in Windows 8.1 Metro. Notice all the thumbnail pictures they are all none showed. But click the icon video can be played right. That is a bug of thumbnail. My app used thumbnail generated function and the exception caused the trouble. This is a bug of Win8.1 or driver!

Tuesday, September 30, 2014 4:36 PM
  • The new progress.

After I installed K-Codec Lite a free codec package that may include spamware for IE, the thumbnail pictures were displayed on Video (Windows 8.1 Default) but not on my app. I uninstalled the K-Codec but the spamware still alive in IE.  

I checked with sfc /scannow my Windows 8.1 was fine in integrity.

My question is how could a non-kernel program k-codec change the thumbnail icon of Windows 8.* without affect the integrity of Windows?    

Thursday, October 23, 2014 9:01 PM