Create a special character from a jpg or tiff file accessed by Shift-Alt-A. RRS feed

• Question

• In Insert>Symbol there is a character map.

I want to define a character from a jpg or tiff file because I would use it allot.

Making a Insert>Picture is  not what I want.

I want to make a special character that can be accessed from Shift-Alt-A.

Is it possible to create a special character from a jpg or tiff file accessed by Shift-Alt-A.

Saturday, December 27, 2014 12:30 AM

Answers

• Hi Philosophiae,

Do you mean you want to create a custom symbol based on an image so that you can use Insert>Symble to insert the custom symbol into the Cell? Then you want to assign a shortcut key Shift+Alt+A to this custom symbol, is that right?

As far as I know, we can't use image as the symbol, Excel doesn't support image symbol. Symbols are actually characters in installed fonts. To create custom symbols, you need to create custom fonts and install them firstly. But even if you do this, images are not available. You can also refer to the answer in this thread:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2007-excel/custom-symbols/d89676f0-473c-49df-8a28-a85fd2ff0b58

An option for you is to store the image in disk or database, create  a Ribbon button with Excel Add-in project template, in the button's click event handler, insert the image into the worksheet, assign a shortcut key to the Ribbon button. Check this thread:

Shortcut Key for excel addin

Also there's no direct way to assign a shortcut key for the symbols. If you create custom font and associate the font to a custom symbol, as a workaround you can use AutoCorrect options to autocomplete the symbol character you want to input.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by Caillen Monday, January 5, 2015 1:46 PM
    Monday, December 29, 2014 2:48 AM