Windows 8 brings back high contrast mode after waking from sleep?

Question

• I've been running Windows 8 on my MacBook Pro, and I decided to see what High Contrast looked like. I turned it on, and didn't like it, so I disabled it. Now, whenever I close the lid to sleep the computer, and then open it up, the areas you enter text in are black, and web page text is white on a white background. I have to reboot after I wake it up. I tried to refresh Windows, but that doesn't work, because I am "Missing key files", even though I re-downloaded and mounted the ISO.
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 12:29 AM

Answers

• I did that, and the Refresh Windows never works. But on the bright side, the high contrast mode after sleep problem mysteriously went away. All it took was a "shutdown -p" shortcut on the desktop to be clicked, and then a BSoD, and now it works. My only other complaint would be that in IE10 (Desktop view) I have to press keys on the keyboard multiple times to get it to register and get entered into the website. It doesn't always do it, and I suspect its incompatibility between Apple's keyboard driver and Win8.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 10:53 PM

All replies

• Assuming I understand you correctly, try going to the Control Panel -> Click General ->  Under the Refresh your PC without affecting your files, click the “Get Started” button.  Click Next and follow the prompts. Your PC settings will be restored to their defaults. After you have completed these steps, do you still have the error?

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 10:03 AM
    Answerer
  • I did that, and the Refresh Windows never works. But on the bright side, the high contrast mode after sleep problem mysteriously went away. All it took was a "shutdown -p" shortcut on the desktop to be clicked, and then a BSoD, and now it works. My only other complaint would be that in IE10 (Desktop view) I have to press keys on the keyboard multiple times to get it to register and get entered into the website. It doesn't always do it, and I suspect its incompatibility between Apple's keyboard driver and Win8.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 10:53 PM