none
Does the Advanced Find Dialog fire events? RRS feed

• Question

• We're trying to block certain actions (Reply/Reply All, Forward) on certain MailItems.    We are successful in doing this from the InlineResponse and Inspector windows.  However, we currently cannot do this from the Advanced Find dialog. 

Users are able to Right+Click on any of the MailItems listed in the result and perform a Reply / Reply All / Forward action.

I noticed that the SelectionChange event does not Fire.  This is discussed here Advanced Find Issue

The moderator says "... selectionchange will only fire inside explorer's main window. advanced find cannot be handled that way..."

Is there a way through the OOM that I can detect a user's selection?

Thursday, September 7, 2017 12:54 PM

Answers

All replies

• What version of Outlook are you using? Keep in mind that "Advanced Find" is gone from the latest builds of Outlook 2016.

Dmitry Streblechenko (MVP)
    http://www.dimastr.com/redemption
    Redemption - what the Outlook
    Object Model should have been
    Version 5.5 is now available!

Thursday, September 7, 2017 2:01 PM
  • Wow!  Good to know.

Most of the company is currently on 2013.  

2016 is being rolled out.  This will take some time since our user base numbers well into the thousands.

I know there are plans for Office 365 down the road.
    Thursday, September 7, 2017 2:20 PM
  • Is there a way to detect events coming from the Advanced Find window?
    Thursday, September 7, 2017 4:57 PM
  • Application.Inspectors.NewInspector should fire, but you won't know which item was selected at the time the new message is shown.

Dmitry Streblechenko (MVP)
    http://www.dimastr.com/redemption
    Redemption - what the Outlook
    Object Model should have been
    Version 5.5 is now available!

Thursday, September 7, 2017 5:09 PM
  • Hello,

You could customize the explorer ribbon and hide these button using the following xml. It works fine in Office 2013 and Office 2016 Deferred Channel Version 1701 7766.2099.

<contextMenus>
        <contextMenu idMso="ContextMenuMailItem">
          <button id="test1" imageMso="HappyFace" label="MyButton1" onAction="test1"/>
          <button idMso="Reply" visible="false"/>
          <button idMso="ReplyAll" visible="false"/>
          <button idMso="Forward" visible="false"/>
        </contextMenu>
      </contextMenus>

To customize ribbon for outlook, please visit Customizing a Ribbon for Outlook

Regards,

Celeste

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, September 8, 2017 7:01 AM
  • Hello,

Have you resolved the issue? Does my workaround above work for you?  If it is not proper for you, we would appreciate if you could share the solution here.

If your issue has been resolved, I suggest you mark helpful post or your solution to close this thread. Thanks for your understanding.

Regards,

Celeste

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, September 22, 2017 5:57 AM
  • Very ineresting.  I didn't know this was an option. 
    Thursday, September 28, 2017 11:12 AM
  • Thanks Dimitry.  Relying on the NewInspector did the trick
    Thursday, September 28, 2017 11:14 AM