State Pattern Help RRS feed

• Question

• User1034446946 posted

Hi

I have been reading this article about the state pattern:

http://dotnetcodr.com/2013/05/16/design-patterns-and-practices-in-net-the-state-pattern/

And I want to use it (for the first time), however I can't figure out where the interface know which OrderState object to use out of the 3, I also not sure why there is a change propery in the object class.

A few other questions.

I have entity models and viewModels, I assume I put this int he viewModels because otherwise it will make my entities a mess and the entityframework won't be able to search by the status?

If that where do I put the state objects? my service layer is free from viewModels, would it be better to add a service folder to my view models project to keep them there?

Also I have only just figure out this pattern although used a few different ones in the past, is it common to build many a project, then have to convert it into patterns when you know them, or should I know them and then start programming?

Any information would be appriciated.

Friday, January 29, 2016 10:06 PM

Answers

• User475983607 posted

enendaveyboy

And I want to use it (for the first time), however I can't figure out where the interface know which OrderState object to use out of the 3, I also not sure why there is a change propery in the object class.

The interface does not determine which OrderState object to use.  The OrderState object is passed into Order object's constructor.  

public Order(IOrderState orderState)
    {
       _orderState = orderState;
    }

This means the initial state is known when the Order is created; otherwise you would not be able to apply the business rules.

enendaveyboy

I also not sure why there is a change propery in the object class.

The Change method sets the private _orderState variable which in turn updates all the properties.  This method would be inside a condition like if(Order.CanShip) {// process shipping }

void Change(IOrderState orderState)
    {
    }

enendaveyboy

If that where do I put the state objects? my service layer is free from viewModels, would it be better to add a service folder to my view models project to keep them there?

You would have a look up table that defines each state, an order state table.  You would have an Order table that contains orders and a table that joins (cross reference) the order table with the order state table.  

Alternatively, you could store the state in the Order table if you don't care about state history.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Sunday, January 31, 2016 4:41 PM

All replies

• User475983607 posted

enendaveyboy

The interface does not determine which OrderState object to use.  The OrderState object is passed into Order object's constructor.  

public Order(IOrderState orderState)
    {
    }

This means the initial state is known when the Order is created; otherwise you would not be able to apply the business rules.

enendaveyboy

I also not sure why there is a change propery in the object class.

The Change method sets the private _orderState variable which in turn updates all the properties.  This method would be inside a condition like if(Order.CanShip) {// process shipping }

void Change(IOrderState orderState)
    {
    }

enendaveyboy

You would have a look up table that defines each state, an order state table.  You would have an Order table that contains orders and a table that joins (cross reference) the order table with the order state table.  

Alternatively, you could store the state in the Order table if you don't care about state history.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Sunday, January 31, 2016 4:41 PM
  • User1034446946 posted

Thanks for the info

Wednesday, February 3, 2016 12:55 AM