none
Need to identify the smartartshape bounds using the smart art bounds. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi ,

In MS PowerPoint i simply adding a smart art of AlternatingHexagon type.

The default position of the smart art will be generated as 

Horizontal Position = 2.22

Vertical Position = 0.79

Width = 8.89

Height = 5.93

My Query is,

Inside the AlternatingHexagons type smart art, it consists of 9 autoshapes like hexagons,. If is select the first node(first hexagon) means its default position will be generated as

Horizontal Position = 3.84

Vertical Position = 0.14

Width = 2.2

Height = 1.91

In what basis the above size and position will be calculated ? Further, when i change the entire smart art size, the above bounds changes accordingly. Could you please provide me the formula or algorithm for finding the size and position of the shapes present inside the smart art?

Thanks,

Arun

Monday, October 12, 2015 10:56 AM

All replies

• Hello Arun Prasad,

Thank you for your question. One of our engineers will review and respond to you shortly.

Thanks,
    Kamil Sykora

Monday, October 12, 2015 1:41 PM
  • Hello Arun -

I'm researching this for you and will update thread as I make progress.

Regards

Tarun Chopra | Escalation Engineer | Open Specifications Support Team

Monday, October 12, 2015 3:50 PM
  • Hi All,

Please let me know if you have any confusion and clarifications in my queries.

It will be helpful for me if you provide me the solution for this query as soon as possible. And don't refuse to clarify any doubts regarding this query. 

Thanks,

Arun

Tuesday, October 13, 2015 4:07 AM
  • Arun - We observed that you have stated the position values by right clicking the object and selecting size and position; hence; we would like to know as to how are you trying to consume these values ? Are you implementing rendering engine for PowerPoint ? Regards

Tuesday, October 13, 2015 5:00 AM
  • Hi Tarun,

I stated the position values by right clicking and selecting size and position. 

And I mentioned in the beginning of the query itself that, i observed this behavior through MS PowerPoint. 

Thanks,

Tuesday, October 13, 2015 5:25 AM
  • Hello Arun

PowerPoint determines the size and position dynamically based on many factors including the relationships between the nodes in the algorithm, the spacing constraints, margin constraints, reference sizes (references to other nodes or parents) and even the size of the viewing window, among many other factors. Size/Position of SmartArt graphic are not hard coded and will change based on the slide layout and factors listed above. SmartArt is actually a DrawingML and details of that can be found in  ISO/IEC 29500: http://www.iso.org/iso/catalogue_detail?csnumber=51463 . You have to refer ISO 29500 specification for details on various fields which are used in algorithms listed on this link : https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/dd439435(v=office.14).aspx. Alternative Hexagons use linear, composite, tx and sp algorithms as stated in layout1.xml file using ‘dgm:alg’ tag.

If you have any further queries, please feel free to let us know.

Thanks.

Thursday, October 15, 2015 12:42 AM