none
WHCK machine conflict RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I face the following issue while trying to pass WHCK certification on driver.

I have a computer A with Windows 8 x64 with WHCK client installed installed on it.
    All tests run fines with Server 'S' (using Windows 2008 server and co.)

This computer A has a multi boot windows partition with other Windows : 8 x86, 7 x64 & 7 x86.
    If I reboot under Windows 8 x86 and I install WHCK client => it overide the Computer A from Server 'S' => Why it's not same OS ? Ok it's the same computer. (Computer name is different between OS)

So I took another computer B with the same hardware inside, Windows version is different the computer has a different name, I boot it under x86 and I install WHCK => same issue the computer is override on the server ?!?! EDIT : IP address are not the same ?!

My questions are the following:

- How WHCK differenciate computer ? Initial Installation computer name ? Hardware content ? BIOS ? Mac address ?
    - Is it possible to register manually a computer with HCK Manager or HCK Studio ?
    - Is it necessary to run x86 WHCK tests as x64 tests passed ?

Thank you for your answers.

Best Regards.

EDIT : It's possible that both computers got the same hardware/Bios/Chipset ID as it's development board.

• Edited by cgdev Thursday, August 9, 2012 1:44 PM
    • Moved by HLK ModeratorModerator Wednesday, October 3, 2012 6:15 PM Move to new forum (From:Windows Hardware WDK and Driver Development)
    Thursday, August 9, 2012 8:28 AM

Answers

• the HCK client uses several data points derived from the hardware to uniquely identify the computer. using IP address or name is not sufficient in most cases, due to the fact that they change too much.

the data that is used include the SMBios guid, SMBios serial number, Asset tag, manufacturer, etc.

in some cases, if these are not filled out properly by the manufacture, 2 different machines will show up as identical. This is also common when using virtual machines.

in this case, it is not supported that both of these machines can be used, and the WHCK controller will not be able to properly identify the machines correctly.

• To identify if this is the issue, using HCK Manager, go click on the machines, and select "View Machine Configuration | Browse Confuration logs"
    • Navigate to CLIENTMACHINE_BLOCK, and select a file to view.
    • typically you can compare only the hash1 and hash2 elements to see if they match
    • Marked as answer by cgdev Friday, August 10, 2012 9:13 AM
    Thursday, August 9, 2012 9:20 PM

All replies

• the HCK client uses several data points derived from the hardware to uniquely identify the computer. using IP address or name is not sufficient in most cases, due to the fact that they change too much.

the data that is used include the SMBios guid, SMBios serial number, Asset tag, manufacturer, etc.

in some cases, if these are not filled out properly by the manufacture, 2 different machines will show up as identical. This is also common when using virtual machines.

in this case, it is not supported that both of these machines can be used, and the WHCK controller will not be able to properly identify the machines correctly.

• To identify if this is the issue, using HCK Manager, go click on the machines, and select "View Machine Configuration | Browse Confuration logs"
    • Navigate to CLIENTMACHINE_BLOCK, and select a file to view.
    • typically you can compare only the hash1 and hash2 elements to see if they match
    • Marked as answer by cgdev Friday, August 10, 2012 9:13 AM
    Thursday, August 9, 2012 9:20 PM
  • Thank you, that what I expected. In our case, the PC are development board and the manufacturer confirmed us that the serial number, hardware ID ... are identical.

Thank you.

Regards.

Friday, August 10, 2012 9:14 AM
  • Hello,

so what can I do, if I only want to use one Server for all Certification test's?

I tried to change Bios settings (SMBios\SKU Number and SMBios\Asset Tag) like described here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/dn393917.aspx

after that I have an other Hash1 value.

Than I installed an other Win Version on this Machine, but HCK Manager put this two Machines together.

Please Help

Marco

• Edited by Szillat Thursday, September 12, 2013 10:41 AM
    Thursday, September 12, 2013 10:37 AM