Inconsistent layout of information RRS feed

• Question

• User-275352813 posted

Hi, I have a report that hides/shows information depending on the values of parameters passed to it. There are 12 "views" of the report, for lack of a better word. Out of those 12, four are displaying with the data spread out the entire page (I've used black textboxes to black out sensitive data):

The others have the data "condensed":

The ReportViewer had the property SizeToReportContent set to true but why would some reports appear spread out and others compacted? Setting this property to false makes no change in the appearance of the reports. In discussing this with my client they wish the reports to appear as they do in the second image. Is there any way to make them consistent?

Friday, May 1, 2015 10:03 AM

All replies

• User1711366110 posted

The ReportViewer had the property SizeToReportContent set to true but why would some reports appear spread out and others compacted? Setting this property to false makes no change in the appearance of the reports. In discussing this with my client they wish the reports to appear as they do in the second image. Is there any way to make them consistent?

As per this case, check the following details :

1.you can place the control that may be hidden into a rectangle then put the other control that must stay in a fixed position BEHIND the rectangle.

2.make sure that the hidden and non-hidden items use the same dataset,

3.you could (shudder) use a giant tablix control with a grouping of =1 and the right number of rows and columns to control the layout (because you can insert rectangles inside).

4.you can set the color/backgroundcolor properties to white (though in some rendering formats you can click and drag to highlight and still read what was there)...

5.Check your expression formula ,based on your condition it may invisible with improper layout .alternately .

6.So you have to place all textboxes in a rectangle, set positions of textboxes are not going to be changed. Click here to refer more .

--
    with regards,
    Edwin

Sunday, May 3, 2015 10:35 PM
  • User-275352813 posted

Hi, everything from underneath the "Period: All available" text is in a tablix. The title is a text box as is the "Period: All available". There are two other text boxes to the right but since it's a wide report (17 x 11) they are not pictured. I removed the text boxes to see if that made a difference and it did not. It seems to be the tablix itself.

I'm using "Show or hide based on an expression" in the visibility property of the columns which are shown/hidden based on the parameters that have been passed. Some columns may have less/different expressions for them.

=(Parameters!ReportTypeRegApprov.Value <> 1) 
    And (Parameters!ReportTypeRegApprov.Value <> 0) 
    Or (Parameters!ReportTypeSubInvStatus.Value <> 0)
    Or (Parameters!ReportTypePermSubInvType.Value <> 0)

All the data in the report is coming from the same dataset.

Thursday, May 7, 2015 11:09 AM
  • User-275352813 posted

I figured out what was causing it. There is a textbox that is used to display comments. This textbox is 15" long. If the comment is small or if all the columns are visible on the report and the comment is long, everything is fine. However, if I view the report with a few of the columns displaying and the comment is large then it's pushing everything out. Is there a way to set the width property of the textbox using an expression?

Thursday, May 7, 2015 11:49 AM
  • User-275352813 posted

I was wrong about the text box. On certain reports where there is a large amount of comments the report columns are not being spread out and are staying condensed.

Thursday, May 7, 2015 4:14 PM