Installing drivers in Windows 8 !

Question

• My system sound was working ok after installing "Windows 8" but seems to have dumped after starting "Windows Media Player" for the first time, tried installing realtek HD audio sound drivers in normal, administrative and compatibility mode but Windows8 does not allow the installation. The same problem occurs when trying to install Connectify utility.  

What can be done to restore sound back to normal and install connectify etc. ?

Sunday, October 02, 2011 1:23 AM

Answers

• Hey Deepesh Agarwal,

Thank you for posting your feedback, we want to make sure we get the right info including your log files. Can you also submit feedback using the Windows Feedback Tool from the Connect Site associated with your Windows Developer Preview program? If you’re an MSDN subscriber, the information on how to join the Connect program is included on the download page where you installed Windows Developer Preview. There’s a link to the Connect site and an invitation code that you can click on to join using a Windows Live ID account. If you’re not an MSDN subscriber follow this limited use link to join the Connect program and then follow the steps here.

Steven
    Saturday, October 08, 2011 11:43 PM

All replies

• Windows 8 is atill under development and this is beta version and these issues are expected, in your case I also suggest to contact manufacturer of those devices and report this issue, they should run some testing and release the driver. It is expected that majority of software and hardware that was compatible with Windows 7 , be compatible in Windows 8 and more application and hardware also will added but in term of compatibility it also depend on the vendors.
    Sunday, October 02, 2011 11:06 AM
  • Using a 6 yr. old HP Pavilion desktop which originally had XP, now triple booting WDP with two other versions of Win7x86 with Realtek HD audio drivers which came with the Windows /Microsoft updates. Try to Search for updates through Control Panel or go to the Realtek site for drivers. I'm sure you will succeed.
    Irfan
    Sunday, October 02, 2011 5:19 PM
  • Download the drivers off of the Realtek website. Worked for me
    Sunday, October 02, 2011 8:49 PM
  •  

Download the drivers off of the Realtek website. Worked for me

I did but Windows8 is not letting drivers install in normal, administrative or compatibility mode
    ?

Am I missing something ?

Monday, October 03, 2011 2:42 AM
  • hi there,

try uninstalling device from device manager, and check the uninstall driver box.

reboot and try installing the new downloaded driver.

you can also use pnputil.exe to do the trick.

best regards,

keep us posted,

Pierre.

Http://www.redkaffe.com - Consultant/Formateur en region PACA
    Monday, October 03, 2011 7:00 AM
  • After install Windows 8 try connect to internet and run Windows Update and it might offers you some drivers and then install them. If not, one way is to contact to the vendor of that driver and report this issue.
    Monday, October 03, 2011 1:59 PM
  • hi there,

try uninstalling device from device manager, and check the uninstall driver box.

reboot and try installing the new downloaded driver.

you can also use pnputil.exe to do the trick.

best regards,

keep us posted,

Pierre.

Http://www.redkaffe.com - Consultant/Formateur en region PACA

I had tried uninstalling and installing existing drivers and installing via pnputil.exe but it's failing :( , pls. have a look at these screenshots :

Thursday, October 06, 2011 3:01 AM
  • After install Windows 8 try connect to internet and run Windows Update and it might offers you some drivers and then install them. If not, one way is to contact to the vendor of that driver and report this issue.
    Tried that but it says drivers are up-to-date, I guess W8 has some driver security feature which is blocking the installation. I guess MS should disable the feature until signed proper drivers are not available for the platform (in developer preview and pre-public beta phase).
    Thursday, October 06, 2011 3:05 AM
  • Hey Deepesh Agarwal,

Thank you for posting your feedback, we want to make sure we get the right info including your log files. Can you also submit feedback using the Windows Feedback Tool from the Connect Site associated with your Windows Developer Preview program? If you’re an MSDN subscriber, the information on how to join the Connect program is included on the download page where you installed Windows Developer Preview. There’s a link to the Connect site and an invitation code that you can click on to join using a Windows Live ID account. If you’re not an MSDN subscriber follow this limited use link to join the Connect program and then follow the steps here.

Steven
    Saturday, October 08, 2011 11:43 PM