Is it possible to require authentication only for ODATA service but not for HTML Client app RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to enable authentication only for OData Service? 

I am developing survey application. In my scenario every internet user should be able to take survey form without authentication. In the same time only authorized users should be able to access data via OData. 

Monday, September 16, 2013 11:30 AM

Answers

• The Html Client gets its data also via the odata service. The application service layer is unaware of what the "client type" is which is connecting.

LightSwitch allows making variations in the level of authorization (via the permissions), but going for authentication is a yes/no decision. In other words, you can not combine in one app screens/tables which need authentication with screens/tables without authentication.

What I would do is to split the app in 2 parts: a public app (without auth) and an admin app (with auth).  I can imagine that the admin app would need also access to the public part. So, I would recover the public data entities as "external data source", for the admin app. But other creative solutions are possilbe.

paul van bladel

Monday, September 16, 2013 6:17 PM