none
CE 6.0 Pre-register COM objects in OS image RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All

Sorry if this is a FAQ.

What are the steps I need to do to pre-register my COM objects in a Windows CE 6.0 OS image?

I know how to include the dll and I know I can add registry entries to platform.reg but how do I get hold of the correct registration information in the first place?

Thanks

Phil

Friday, November 25, 2011 11:53 AM

Answers

• It's brute force, but capturing the registry before you do a registration, then registering, then capturing the registry after is a good way to go. Capturing the registry can be done using Remote Registry Editor and is a *very* useful tool for all sorts of actions that you'll need to perform with CE.

Since this is *your* COM object, you should already know what it puts in the registry, however. Just put those settings in a REG file and you don't have to do anything special. There's no secret values created at the time of registration; the system *asks* your COM object to register itself so your code knows the settings.

Paul T.

• Marked as answer by Phil C1 Wednesday, November 30, 2011 9:15 AM
    Monday, November 28, 2011 10:14 PM

All replies

• I guess its not a FAQ then ;-)

The only way I can think to do this would be to make a CAB file of my COM objects and take a snapshot of registry before and after I install it. I could then extract the differences and enter them in platform.reg.

Would this work or am I barking up the wrong tree completely? It seems like a lot of effort really...

I seem to remember reading in a Mike Hall posting somewhere about implementing a Web Service that hinted that this should be possible?

Thanks

Phil

Monday, November 28, 2011 4:21 PM
  • It's brute force, but capturing the registry before you do a registration, then registering, then capturing the registry after is a good way to go. Capturing the registry can be done using Remote Registry Editor and is a *very* useful tool for all sorts of actions that you'll need to perform with CE.

Since this is *your* COM object, you should already know what it puts in the registry, however. Just put those settings in a REG file and you don't have to do anything special. There's no secret values created at the time of registration; the system *asks* your COM object to register itself so your code knows the settings.

Paul T.

• Marked as answer by Phil C1 Wednesday, November 30, 2011 9:15 AM
    Monday, November 28, 2011 10:14 PM
  • Thanks for that Paul.

I recently re-discovered the Mike Hall article I referred to earlier. Its called "Building XML Web Services for Windows Embedded CE 6.0" he wrote it in his blog in October 2007:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/mikehall/archive/2007/10/10/building-xml-web-services-for-windows-embedded-ce-6-0.aspx

In it, he gives a tutorial on creating COM objects and exposing them as a web service. He also created a tool called "CEWSDLGen" whose primary aim was to produce the WSDL for the web service but produced COM registration info as a by-product. It is still available here:

http://archive.msdn.microsoft.com/cewsdlgen/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=2714

If anyone else reading this post is trying to do something similar, I suggest its well worth a look!

Best Regards

Phil

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 9:25 AM
  • Good pointer. We all miss Mike's periodic neat tools postings...too busy these days, I guess!

Paul T.

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 3:24 PM