MSDN Ultimate subscriber- want to download office 2010 pro plus for home use? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi-

I don't want to do anything illegal. I am a developer who has an MSDN ultimate license through my employer. I understand we get a "free" copy of Office 2010 Pro Plus for "any use". Can I legitimately install this on my home computer for occasional work use, but primarily home stuff? If so, is there a special way to access the license for this purpose vs any other license I pull off MSDN? I keep expecting to see something telling me I have this one free license for my own use for this?

Thanks

Wednesday, January 5, 2011 10:54 PM

Answers

• Thanks for your question John.  The particular information regarding Office use is posted here:  

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/cc150618.aspx

The relevant text is:  

If you have an Ultimate or Premium level subscription, you can also install and use one copy of certain desktop applications on one device for any purpose:

• Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010
    • Microsoft Office Project Professional 2010
    • Microsoft Office Visio Premium 2010
    I think the use you describe complies with this statement, since your home computer is 'one device' and the use you describe certainly falls under 'any purpose' :)  The only catch here is that since your organization purchased the license, technically the office license is theirs to give to you, but if they dont have any problems (or have already licensed Office 2010 for your use at work), then there should be no problem using it as you describe.  

By the way, the license doesn't come to you separately, and there isn't a separate product key provided exclusively for this use. You can just use one of your product keys provided in MSDN for this purpose.

Let me know if you have any questions!
    Mike

MSDN and TechNet Subscriptions Support
    • Proposed as answer by Mike Kinsman Thursday, January 6, 2011 7:21 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mike Kinsman Wednesday, May 25, 2011 8:10 PM
    Thursday, January 6, 2011 7:21 PM

All replies

• Thanks for your question John.  The particular information regarding Office use is posted here:  

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/cc150618.aspx

The relevant text is:  

If you have an Ultimate or Premium level subscription, you can also install and use one copy of certain desktop applications on one device for any purpose:

I think the use you describe complies with this statement, since your home computer is 'one device' and the use you describe certainly falls under 'any purpose' :)  The only catch here is that since your organization purchased the license, technically the office license is theirs to give to you, but if they dont have any problems (or have already licensed Office 2010 for your use at work), then there should be no problem using it as you describe.  

By the way, the license doesn't come to you separately, and there isn't a separate product key provided exclusively for this use. You can just use one of your product keys provided in MSDN for this purpose.

Let me know if you have any questions!
    Mike

MSDN and TechNet Subscriptions Support
    • Proposed as answer by Mike Kinsman Thursday, January 6, 2011 7:21 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mike Kinsman Wednesday, May 25, 2011 8:10 PM
    Thursday, January 6, 2011 7:21 PM
  • Hi,

Is this still true? Currently the text at the given link reads:

If you have an Ultimate or Premium level subscription, you can also install and use one copy of certain desktop applications on one device for production use:

Also it states below that:

Using the software in any other way, such as for doing email, playing games, or editing a document is another use and is not covered by the MSDN subscription license.

Thanks,

Girish

Wednesday, July 6, 2011 8:43 PM
  • I have same Query.. I am given MSDN ultimate level subscription by my employer.

Can i use these subscription in my personal laptop, as i want to use visual studio and windows 8. Is it legal to do so ..??

Saturday, August 10, 2013 7:12 AM