Italian keyboard and suggestions RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hello, in Italian keyboard missing some suggestion like "è", letters or words with accent.

It happen when I touch "e" on keyboard. In wp8.0 when I touched "e" I could see "è", with wp8.1 I can't.

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 7:06 AM

All replies

• Same problem. No suggestion accented letters
    Friday, May 2, 2014 10:42 PM
  • Hi, I found some bugs on my Lumia 620 with WP 8.1 preview while using it in Italian.

-Capital letters turns automatically on after you type a colon ( : )

-Autocorrection and suggestions often make mistakes with apostrophes (for example while typing "unattimo" the phone writes "un'attimo" instead of "un attimo", or with "unesempio" you get "un'esempio" instead of "un esempio")

-Suggestions and autocorrection for stressed words are way worse than they were with Lumia Black. For example when I had to write "c'è" (which means "there is", so it's commonly used) I used to write "ce" and then tapped on the first suggestion that used to be the right one. Now if I write "ce" the first suggestion is "c'e" (which is wrong in Italian, it doesn't make any sense) and there is no trace of "c'è". This happens with many other stressed words, and Italian language is full of them. Moreover when you write something that doesn't make any sense without a stress (like "citta" instead of "città") most of the times you don't get corrected automatically.

Hope I explained it well , if you don't undesrtand something I'll try to rephrase it in a better way

• Merged by Eli A Tuesday, May 20, 2014 2:17 PM Merging Threads to pull Italian Keyboard issues together
    Monday, May 5, 2014 5:02 PM
  • Hello zev16:

Thank you for posting to the forums regarding the issues you found with the Italian keyboard and auto corrections.  We appreciate you making us aware of this and do rely on our customers feedback to improve the Windows phone platform.

I do have one suggestion for you.  Try using the shape writing feature.  I have installed the Italian keyboard to my phone and typed a message.  When I typed ce, I noticed what you described.  When I used the shape writing feature, sliding your finger along the keyboard, my options were Ce, C'è, C'e.  This seems to be more what you are expecting and wanting.

With the issue regarding uattimo and the like, the same thing seems to happen.  The only suggestion I have off hand would be to type this as two words.  Otherwise this is a good thing to mention in your other feedback post.

In addition to the posting here, I suggest you post your feedback and suggestions regarding the keyboard here.  This forum is instrumental in our development of updates.

I also urge others that have had a similar experience to post here and add votes to this thread so this gets even more attention.

Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Mark W.

• Edited by Mark_AWModerator Sunday, May 11, 2014 6:11 AM Adding additional information
    Sunday, May 11, 2014 5:56 AM
  • Thanks for the suggestions, I'm really not comfortable at all with the "swipe" keyboard but I'll try to use it more to see if it'll grow on me.

Is there anything that I can do about the automatic capital letter after ":" ?

• Edited by zev16 Sunday, May 11, 2014 4:39 PM
    Sunday, May 11, 2014 4:38 PM
  • Hi there, I'm testing developer preview on a Nokia Lumia 925 (no brand, Italy), with Italian Language and I have the same issues.

I'll try to explain the problem with more details. With Windows Phone 8, when I wrote some word which need to be stressed (words such as e-è ,  più-più and pero-però) the keyboard automatically changed the word with the correct one when it was clearly necessary ("più" and "però") and immediately suggested "è" instead of "e" when it wasn't.

I'll try to be more clear, making an example.

Consider this sentence:

"Ciao Bob, come è andato l'esame? Era più difficile dell'altra volta?"

In Windows Phone 8, I wrote "Ciao Bob, come e" and after typing "e" the keyboard immediately suggested me "è".

Then I continued to write "andato l'esame? Era piu" and the keyboard autmatically changed "piu" with "più".

Another annoying example is the word "c'è".
    Sentence: "Ciao ragazzi, c'è posto in aula?"

In WP8, if I wrote "Ciao ragazzi, c'e" keyboard automatically changed "c'e" with "c'è"; in WP8.1 it Leaves "c'e", I have to manually type "è". The word "c'e" doesn't mean anything!

With Windows Phone 8.1 nothing of this is happening, and it's very annoying; it's a big issue for such a comfortable keyboard, now it's a pain writing, not a pleasure (as we often use stresses).

I mentioned only some words, but the problem can happen also with other stressed words.

I also ave problems mentioned here (with colon and apostrophes):
    [I'll post the link when my account will be verified, you can find the thread searching "italian" in this forum]

NB: already tested with the recent update to Developer Preview, the problem persists!

• Edited by nik_298 Thursday, May 15, 2014 8:03 AM
    Thursday, May 15, 2014 7:56 AM
  • Same problem here!

There is another thread in this forum:
    [I'll post the link when my account will be verified, you can find the thread searching "italian" in this forum]

I suggest to merge the two threads, it will be more helpful!

• Edited by nik_298 Thursday, May 15, 2014 12:55 PM
    Thursday, May 15, 2014 8:06 AM
  • Please fix this!
    Thursday, May 15, 2014 2:42 PM
  • Hello, in Italian keyboard missing some suggestion like "è", letters or words with accent.

It happen when I touch "e" on keyboard. In wp8.0 when I touched "e" I could see "è", with wp8.1 I can't.

Thursday, May 15, 2014 3:13 PM
  • Same here, i never get a "è" in the suggestions bar when i press "e".
    Friday, May 16, 2014 1:18 AM
  • "C'e" doesn't exist in the italian language. Only "ce" and "c'è" exist in our language.
    However, same problems here.
    Friday, May 16, 2014 1:21 AM
  • Hello all:

Thank you for posting to the forum regarding the issues you have with the Italian keyboard in the 8.1 developer preview.  I have worked with the Italian keyboard and can certainly understand how you would want this to work differently, or at least more like it did in 8.0.  I have checked a few of the things referenced here and added a few suggestions or thoughts on the matter.  Additionally, we do encourage anyone that finds this to be an issue to vote for this thread and in addition add your suggestions and comments here

When it comes to e and needing the accent added, it does look like this is something you will currently need to add manually.  This is done by tapping and holding the letter where you will then see a series of accented e's.  To this point I have yet to find a work around for this.

In regards to c'è, I have found one work around that might make things better for you.  That is to use the new shape writing feature.  This is done by sliding your finger along the keyboard to make words.  From my experience this leads to the properly accented word being added to the options in the suggestions bar.  To be up front, I am not an Italian speaker so I have only been able to test the examples provided.  When I touch the letter c and then slide my finger to the e I get Ce in the message bar.  The second suggestion listed is c'è. 

I am a bit confused on più.  I have found that this word seems to be corrected for me regardless of what type of writing I do.  I did standard tap writing and had piu changed immediately to più.  When I used shape writing più was added directly to my message. 

We understand this is a new feature and may take some getting used to.  For the time being I would suggest you play with this a bit and see if this also helps you with other issues you may have experienced with the dictionary.  As mentioned above, make your voice heard if you really want changes made to the dictionary when in comes to standard tap writing.

When it comes to the : being followed immediately by capital letters the only suggestion I have at this time is to tap the up arrow to change the case.  It simply looks like the keyboard is set to auto default to capitalize the first letter after a : followed by a space.  The other option would be to immediately continue typing after the : and then go back and add the space when you are done. 

Mark W.

Friday, May 16, 2014 2:29 AM
  • Hello All:

Thank you for the continued feedback.  As mentioned earlier the only way I have found to currently get around the issue with accents is to use the shape writing.  I understand this will take some getting used to and if you simply do not want to use this then the options are to either manually create the words by tapping and holding the accented letters, tapping the space bar and then back button (you will now see the proper options) or posting to the user voice forum referenced earlier.  I do not know why the dictionaries seem to be different but at this time they are.  I am going to do what I can to make the engineers aware of this but getting the community to vote on issues here and on the user voice forum goes a long way in effecting change.

In regards to the : question.  I have found that you are correct that when you add a space after the : the keyboard will auto capitalize.  At this point this seems to be by design and the options here are to tap the up arrow to change the case or to start typing directly after the : and then going back and adding the space later.  As mentioned with other issues, voting here and adding your comments to user voice would also make an impact.

I did find one other thread on this issue listed in the discussions section and I have refrained from merging as questions and discussions are typically viewed and used a bit differently.  At this time I will continue to look for other question threads about this and if I find it, I will merge these together.

Please let us know if you have any other feedback, questions or concerns.

Mark W.

Friday, May 16, 2014 2:43 AM
  • You can have the suggestion adding and removing a space, but it's not a solution. Weird.
    Friday, May 16, 2014 4:46 AM
  • Hi Mark,

Sometimes suggestions appear, other not. "Più" works perfectly but "già" or other not.

I know your suggest. I use swipe on keyboard to write these words.

I've recorded a video to show an example and your same suggestions before opening of this topic youtube=RKG3y6H-RBA (20 april).

It's a suggestion but not a solution.

Friday, May 16, 2014 9:02 AM

Friday, May 16, 2014 6:30 PM
  • Hi, I found some bugs on my Lumia 620 with WP 8.1 preview while using it in Italian.

-Capital letters turns automatically on after you type a colon ( : )

-Autocorrection and suggestions often make mistakes with apostrophes (for example while typing "unattimo" the phone writes "un'attimo" instead of "un attimo", or with "unesempio" you get "un'esempio" instead of "un esempio")

-Suggestions and autocorrection for stressed words are way worse than they were with Lumia Black. For example when I had to write "c'è" (which means "there is", so it's commonly used) I used to write "ce" and then tapped on the first suggestion that used to be the right one. Now if I write "ce" the first suggestion is "c'e" (which is wrong in Italian, it doesn't make any sense) and there is no trace of "c'è". This happens with many other stressed words, and Italian language is full of them. Moreover when you write something that doesn't make any sense without a stress (like "citta" instead of "città") most of the times you don't get corrected automatically.

Hope I explained it well , if you don't undesrtand something I'll try to rephrase it in a better way

Friday, May 16, 2014 6:35 PM
  • Hello All:

At this time I am providing any work arounds that might help you circumvent the issues you are having with the Italian keyboard.  I have also provide multiple things, voting for this thread and posting to the user voice forum that will help to effect the changes you want to see with the keyboard and subsequent dictionaries.

I will do all I can to bring this to the attention of the right people and I will let you know if I get any new information.  If you do not hear from me again on this, this might come down to waiting for the official release.

Mark W.

Saturday, May 17, 2014 6:51 AM
  • How I can send a direct message?

If you have time, please send a mail to ******0@hotmail.com

Saturday, May 17, 2014 3:37 PM
  • Same problems, also with point on Keyboard when you use double keyboard layout. When you will solve it? Italy is one of the most important....
    Sunday, May 18, 2014 8:36 AM
  • Same problem with french Keyboard (é,à,ç accent). It's very annoying. Please fixe This for final release
    Sunday, May 18, 2014 11:01 AM
  • The keyboard always suggests the word "Dover" with capital d when I type "dover" which is a verb in the italian language.
    Sunday, May 18, 2014 11:13 PM
  • Confirm!

and please note that "qual'è" doesn't exist in the italian language. Only "qual è" exist in our language.

Monday, May 19, 2014 6:27 AM
  • Hello All:

Thank you for the follow up and continued information regarding the Italian keyboard.  Please remember to try using the shape writing option to see if this helps you with any of the dictionary issues you have found.  Please continue to vote for this thread and continue to provide us any other issues you find.  If you can document if the issue exists when using tap writing, shape writing or both.

Mark W.

Friday, May 23, 2014 2:35 AM
  • Hi Mark,

thanks a lot for your help.

Have you already posted to user voice forum?

If the answer is yes, can you post here the link? I can't find it.

I've seen that also French users and Swiss users have similar problems. And someone posted about another comma bug.

Maybe we can make one user voice suggestion, for all this things? I think it would be more easy for one post to get more votes in less times.

Let me know and have a nice day.

• Edited by nik_298 Friday, May 23, 2014 7:38 AM
    Friday, May 23, 2014 7:37 AM

Friday, May 23, 2014 6:47 PM
  • Same problem, REALLY annoying

Typing in Italian with 8.0 was much more fluent and faster.

Please, fix accents suggestions

Friday, May 23, 2014 7:11 PM
  • Please fix the problem Microsoft
    Friday, May 23, 2014 10:59 PM
  • Please, vote here:
    http://windowsphone.uservoice.com/forums/101801-feature-suggestions/suggestions/5961812-fix-keyboard-problems-in-wp-8-1

so that Microsoft can notice the error and quickly fix it!

EDIT:

it seems that also Slovenian and Turkish keyboard have similar problems.

- Slovenian: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/28012c03-bfc4-46f7-8dfd-b87b35722501/slovenian-keyboard-issue?forum=winphoneosissues

- Turkish: no thread yet

I hope some mod of Uservoice can edit my post adding them

• Edited by nik_298 Saturday, May 24, 2014 5:54 AM
    Friday, May 23, 2014 11:39 PM

Sunday, May 25, 2014 10:42 AM
  • I tried the "swipe" keyboard for over ten days and the preditcion system seems to be better, closer to the one before the upgrade to 8.1. The autocorrection though still makes mistakes with apostrophes.

Anyway I still prefer the touch input over the "swipe" as it feels more precise and natural to me.

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 8:07 AM