Help RRS feed

• Question

• On54.com

Here is my website link, can anyone give me some quick fixes to this website while I work on a new one, there are obviously some compatabilty issues here and if anyone has an suggestions on how to fix these, quickly I would appreciate them!! Thanks!!

Monday, May 16, 2011 3:51 PM

All replies

• Sorry I do not think there is a Quick Fix.  How much do you know about CSS?  You have a external style sheet and class rules and some in-line stuff that some are overideing the other or canceling each other out.  Also are you using layers?   I see layer 1 layer 2 etc .  Layers are not a good idea unless you are sure you know what you are doing. 

For quick fix I would suggest  a professional designer consult.  Unless you have time to learn HTML and CSS.   I hope that maybe some others in the forum may be able to give you more specifics and for your sake tell me I am all wrong but I think the site has some real problems that are going to take a while to sort out or redo.

Whishing you the best,

MIKE E

"It's like déjà vu all over again." — Yogi Berra
    Monday, May 16, 2011 4:48 PM
  • There are no quick fixes. Before you work on a new site, take the tutorials listed in the Forum FAQ.
    Get a book.
    Learn HTML and CSS.
    Learn EW's features and structure and workflow.
    Learn why dragging in the Design Pane can get you into trouble.
    Learn about web-safe fonts and font families
    Learn why setting heights on text contaners is a bad idea.
    Learn to position items properly on the age without using position:
    Learn how to properly specify font sizes so they display dependably.
    Learn how to use an external style sheet.
    Learn to style without using the toolbar.
    Learn why to choose a particular width (1100 is just weird, 960 - 980 is more common--for a good reason).
    Learn why you should never, ever, ever, ever use layers (absolute positioning).
    Start your next project with an EW template, since all teh basic layout will have been properly done for you.

I don't mean to be a smart-ass, but each of those items I listed above is based on errors I saw in a quick look at the site's code. They are basic, basic building blocks of web knowledge.

A quick fix on that site just isn't possible, there are myriad details that need fixing and they are often tied together and they vary from page to page.

"If I had asked my customers what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse." Henry Ford
    Monday, May 16, 2011 5:00 PM