none
Kinect Fusion Align a points Cloud from a file with points Cloud from Kinect RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a question about Kinect Fusion, Let's say I have a file where I saved all points cloud coordinates (x,y,z). And I need to compare whether the person in front of the Kinect is the same person's point cloud that I saved in the file. How can I use alignPointCloud method with the point cloud from the Kinect and the point cloud from the file? Is the 3d coordinates from all points enough to do this or should I save other information in the file. Thank you. 

Friday, June 27, 2014 8:22 AM

All replies

• Fusion was not designed for that scenario in mind. The point cloud exported from Fusion is a representation of the reconstruction volume. You may want to generate your own PointClouds just on depth data and other libraries like PCL and OpenCV.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Tuesday, July 1, 2014 7:46 PM
  • Thank you for your reply, I am using C# so I can't use PCL. Can I use mesh from Fusion or the export volume block and import volume block in order to see if two volumes or two mesh are the same, because I am really stuck on how to do this for my thesis ?? If not, how can I use openCV to do this please.
    Wednesday, July 2, 2014 9:45 AM
  • The exported mesh is going to be an estimation of locations which is going to skew your results. You will not be able to import multiple exported meshes as the library was not designed to combine/subtract data

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Tuesday, July 8, 2014 5:09 PM