HowTo easily install the certificate to Trusted Publisher. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a XBAP browser hosted application. I bought a certificate from CA. Because it is a full trust application user needs to add my certificate to the Trusted publisher store.

I have the fallowing possibilities:

1) User will install myCertificate.cer app by visiting our web site. After that can start myWebApp.xbap

2) certmgr –add alice.cer –s TrustedPublisher 

Not good for me. This is not easy to use for the user.

3) Create an application and using the X509Store class.

Not good for me. The firewalls usually blocks the .exe files.

Actually I have 2 problems to install certificate manualy.

- How can I set the desired container for a certificate? From a user's perspective it is most easy if he/she can just select next-next-finish or something and not bother selecting the correct container. Now when user click on the link to the certificate  the certificate managers opens and if the user click Next,Next,Finish the certificate will not install automatically in the trusted publisher.

- On some computers the certificate is opened as a text file in the browser. This is not good at all. How can I determine the browser to start the certificate managers?

Do you have any alternative solution. I did not find solutions for this on the net, maybe I’m on the wrong way.

Thank you,

Zoltan

Monday, February 23, 2009 7:32 AM

Answers

•  

Hi laszlozoli,

I think the first possibility you listed that install the certificate through browser is a very common way to install the certificate.

As you said, some computers may prompt saving the certificate to the hard drive. This may be because they are probably using a higher version of Internet Explorer. You can find the stored location of the file, and double click it to continue the installation.

To install the certificate, some steps are essential. At least, it's essential now.  For example, To install it to the trusted publisher, we have to choose from "select  certificate store", and specify the node.

I suggest you write a document for the installation of the Certificate with details steps and screenshots. So the user can finish all the steps with a clear picture and even they have little knowledge in Computer.

As for the second possibility you listed, I think you can try to write a batch script file to install the certificate. The users only need to double click the batch script file.

Best regards,

Bruce Zhou

Please mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark if they don't.
    • Marked as answer by Bruce.Zhou Monday, March 2, 2009 2:11 AM
    Friday, February 27, 2009 7:51 AM

All replies

•  

Hi laszlozoli,

I think the first possibility you listed that install the certificate through browser is a very common way to install the certificate.

As you said, some computers may prompt saving the certificate to the hard drive. This may be because they are probably using a higher version of Internet Explorer. You can find the stored location of the file, and double click it to continue the installation.

To install the certificate, some steps are essential. At least, it's essential now.  For example, To install it to the trusted publisher, we have to choose from "select  certificate store", and specify the node.

I suggest you write a document for the installation of the Certificate with details steps and screenshots. So the user can finish all the steps with a clear picture and even they have little knowledge in Computer.

As for the second possibility you listed, I think you can try to write a batch script file to install the certificate. The users only need to double click the batch script file.

Best regards,

Bruce Zhou

Please mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark if they don't.
    • Marked as answer by Bruce.Zhou Monday, March 2, 2009 2:11 AM
    Friday, February 27, 2009 7:51 AM
  • Hi Bruce,

Thank you for the answer!

Finally, I created a ClickOnce application what will install automatically the certificate to the Trusted Publisher store.

User will click on the link to the application. The application will be downloaded and started with installing the certificate.

Best regards,

Zoltan

Monday, March 2, 2009 3:44 PM