none
Outlook 2010 add-in not installing correctly RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm having a problem with an Outlook add-in that I've created in Visual Studio 2010.  I'm trying to deploy it via an msi file, which I've created by following the instructions on this page (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff937654.aspx) and on the surface this appears to work fine.  If I run the msi file it will go through the installation process without any problem, will say that installation has completed but when I go into Outlook the add in is not listed.

I've checked to make sure all the files are being copied to the directory specified during installation, that registry keys are being created etc and they all seem fine.  What's slightly odd is that in the installation directory there is a .vsto file.  If I double click on this it attempts to install the add in and does this successfully.  I can then see the add in in Outlook, it works as expected and there's no issue.  It therefore seems that there's a step missing in the installation process that actually runs this .vsto file to get the add in installed.  Don't know if it's relevant, but running the msi will add an entry in Programs and Features (as expected), while running the .vsto file will add an additional entry in Programs and Features.

Any help or pointers in the right direction would be greatly appreciated, and happy to provide further info if that would help.

Thanks,

Nick

Wednesday, August 7, 2013 6:09 PM

Answers

• I have now solved this - was my own fault really!  When creating the registry key I created the LoadBehavior value as a String value rather than a DWORD value, hence the add-in not loading correctly.  Replaced it with a DWORD value and works fine.
    Thursday, August 8, 2013 8:20 AM