Theme Or CSS RRS feed

• Question

• User-1069928006 posted

Has anybody been able to change the appearance by giving the clubsite a theme or changing the css page. I tried it nce but I became overwhelmed although that was the same day I downloaded it also. Perhaps I can gather some good input from the forum here now that I am a bit more aquainted with it. I have also tried my hand at the community starter kit it seems to be more geared towards a commercial type of domain as the clubsite is more like a single club or what ever else someone can think of. Well I guess I'll just sit back and wait.

Thank You All

DKB

Saturday, March 11, 2006 3:20 PM

All replies

• User-1069928006 posted

Hi sAMSP

Thank you for the links that you sent. I appologize for not replying to you any sooner I have been quite busy, once again thank you.

DKB

Monday, March 13, 2006 2:28 PM
  • User380413204 posted

Hi,

You could start with changing some of the background images (can be done with any basic graphic app) that are used in the CSS.

This is a very simple way to make a complete new appearance, with very little effort.

Grtz,

Lex

Wednesday, March 15, 2006 11:06 AM
  • User1275632693 posted

There are several awesome and mostly free CSS Style and Design software suites out there.

If I remember one of the better one's is Style Studio or something along those lines, I used it quite a bit when I was coding in PHP using Dreamweaver.

Well at least you know it can be done, perhaps you could pick up the SKINS aspect of the Kit while other work on the Functionality.

Who knows we could end up having a little dedicated group of guys and gals to mess with this thing.

Wednesday, March 15, 2006 9:18 PM
  • User-302016627 posted

I once dabbled with creating a Skin under a theme, but realized that it cannot be applied to the master page.

It was really shocking that, unlike css, the skin would actually have to be referenced in every individual page.

Kinda seemed to defeat the purpose of a Master page, hence I gave on the skin/theme approach in favor of css.

Anybody else felt the same way? Is there a workaround? Would've loved to explore themes/skins but hate code-repeatition.

Great bunch of links !!! genuine time-saver.

Friday, March 24, 2006 9:46 AM
  • User-2016200658 posted

I changed the themes on Personal Web Site starter kit. I have to redo the graphics in order to get a new look. also there is a list of club sites on my site using customized themes. You might want to check it out to see what others have done.

My site: http://www.edream.org/Default.aspx
    Standard PWS look: http://www.asp.net/vwd/Live/pws/default.aspx

List of club site with different looks: http://www.edream.org/LinksCat.aspx?skid=2

Friday, March 24, 2006 1:46 PM
  • User-1069928006 posted

Hello sue I see you posted and I want to thank you for the information you supplied. Do you mind if I ask you what hosting company do you recommend I have seen such an array of differences including high prices for shared and no sql 2005 to low prices with 2005 sql and awful support, do you have any suggestions.

DKB

Monday, April 10, 2006 8:26 PM
  • User-2016200658 posted

Most people I run into in this forum recommend webhost4life.com. Personally I dont have experience with them but I do like their package - about $140/year unmilimited domain name with sql server 2005. I am quite happy with my current host company boundgrid.com. It's around $100/year with sql 2000. I do consider move to webhost4life.com for the sql server 2005. 

I think it depends on what you need from host company. In my case, I have gazillions of applications that majority of them require it's own application  pool. So multiple domain support and reasonable number of subdomain name are important to me. For others probably not.

I ordered Brinkster.com for one of my client. They are very good - super fast FTP connection, excellent customer support, web server stable and reliable. However they don't support multiple domain name. Also I didn't aware of their subdomain name are use the same application pool when I ordered the service. Therefor I have to choose either asp.net 1.x or 2.0 for my application, can't have both. on top of this you need to ask them to create subdomain for you. Usually they are quite responsive, but I prefer I can create subdomain with it's own application pool in control panel.

GoDaddy.com is one of the biggest host company but I heard quite a bit negative feedback about their service.

These just my 2 cents comments, it could be bias.

Tuesday, April 11, 2006 10:23 AM
  • User-302016627 posted

I found one HUGE advantage of using Themes (apart from the Cool factor), is the ability to organize your code-files (aspx) in folders + nested subfolders.

With the default StarterKit (css based) I had to replicate the css in every sub-folder I created for storing aspx files. To avoid that I resorted to <%= Server.MapPath(....css)%> in Default.master, as the location of the css file is always evaluated relative to the aspx page (and not Default.master which holds the css location reference)

It worked but seemed a rather clumsy approach. Finally moved to Themes and life has been simplified. No more specifying css paths. The default css for a selected theme, gets applied automatically.

In an earlier Post, I whined about having to reference a Theme in every page, but I was wrong.

It can be set site-wide in web.config. Cool !

So if U wanna utilise Master page + nested-subfolders, IMO Themes is the way 2 go. 

I'm no expert though... Feel absolutely free to validate/refute my observations !! 

We all might learn smthg new, in the process.

Tuesday, April 11, 2006 11:10 AM
  • User-2016200658 posted

One quick note: If you have only one themes, yes it can be set site-side in web.config. But if you have more than one themes and user can change theme dynmiacally then you have to create a base class for all pages and every content page reference to the base page.

Tuesday, April 11, 2006 12:50 PM
  • User-1069928006 posted

Thank you for the input I agree it all depends on what your looking for. I my self would be looking for 2.0 framework and offering sql 2005 so that I may also build my apps with visual studio 2005. I must ask about your club site kit that I visited isn't that a 2.0 framework required web app. I'm thinking that it should  be using the 2005 sql as well what do think.

DKB

Friday, April 14, 2006 2:39 PM