Dll Downloads RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I read and found like the libraries referred in the silverlight project will be donwloaded along with the browser. I just want to know following details ?

1. Is that safe ?
    2. If dll size increases what happens ?
    3. Will this be a performance hit for a large project ?

Thanks,

Thani

Tuesday, October 27, 2009 7:39 AM

Answers

• If you use a normal reference to an assembly then that reference will by default be packaged (and compressed) in the .xap file. You can specify that it should use the assembly cache, which means the assembly is no longer in the .xap file and is downloaded as it is needed.

To answer your questions:

1. It is just as safe as any other code you write in Silverlight. It all runs in a sandbox on the client, so it's extremely difficult to actually cause harm to the client system. So is it safe? That depends on what you mean by safe. I'd say it's safe enough.

2. Then so does the size of the .xap file and download time will increase accordingly.

3. As you load more code at once, load times increase and so does memory load. Some improvements can be gained by improving on the compression of the .xap file (balance it with decompression times on the client) and using assembly cache. If that doesn't cover it, consider splitting your application into multiple .xap files, which you can load dynamically. You can find some information about it here.

HTH.

Tuesday, October 27, 2009 10:25 AM

All replies

• If you use a normal reference to an assembly then that reference will by default be packaged (and compressed) in the .xap file. You can specify that it should use the assembly cache, which means the assembly is no longer in the .xap file and is downloaded as it is needed.

To answer your questions:

1. It is just as safe as any other code you write in Silverlight. It all runs in a sandbox on the client, so it's extremely difficult to actually cause harm to the client system. So is it safe? That depends on what you mean by safe. I'd say it's safe enough.

2. Then so does the size of the .xap file and download time will increase accordingly.

3. As you load more code at once, load times increase and so does memory load. Some improvements can be gained by improving on the compression of the .xap file (balance it with decompression times on the client) and using assembly cache. If that doesn't cover it, consider splitting your application into multiple .xap files, which you can load dynamically. You can find some information about it here.

HTH.

Tuesday, October 27, 2009 10:25 AM
  • Thats a very beautiful reply. Thanks Sir
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 1:02 PM