none
Kinect application doesn't work over remote desktop but it works over TeamViewer RRS feed

• Question

• I have a use case where I need to use Kinect attached to a remote computer.

I tried to run an app on the remote computer via RDP but It turns out that it's not possible.

FPS drops to 0 (I get no data), for few seconds (LEDs on kinect device disappear) and then after few seconds kinect restarts to work for next few seconds (I can see LEDs on the device again). After few seconds that history repeats over and over (LEDs disappear, I get no data from device....).

It's reproducible with all types of applications (WPF, DirectX, WinRT). I use RDP between two laptops with Windows 8.1.

However, everything is ok when I connect to the remote computer using TeamViewer.

Do you have any solution to that? If needed I'll be happy to provide you with more info on that problem.

Tuesday, March 31, 2015 7:40 PM

All replies

• See known issues and troubleshooting guide on remote desktop:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn758677.aspx

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/20dbadae-dcee-406a-b66f-a182d76cea3b/troubleshooting-and-common-issues-guide?forum=kinectv2sdk

You must disable audio remoting to ensure the audio data is running through Kinect runtime on the host machine.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Thursday, April 2, 2015 5:02 PM
  • Thanks for answer. Indeed that was the issue.

However, I've encountered another issue. When I close the RDP connection kinect stops working as well. Initially I thought it has something to do with a lock but the lock works fine (after account gets locked the device keeps providing data). I've no idea why is that as TeamViewer works ok in such scenario.

Wednesday, April 8, 2015 3:00 PM
  • RDP might cause a latency in runtime which forces the KinectService to reset the driver. If there is no logged in user context then that will fail to work. You can do a net stop Kinect Monitor to reset the service if you find it isn't working.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Wednesday, April 8, 2015 5:46 PM
  • How can your company leave such a bug in the product ?
    Monday, April 30, 2018 1:30 PM