none
Can't open IC mic file RRS feed

• Question

• I have two almost identical Image composer .mic files of screen captures of my laptop.  One file is 1,729 KB and the other is 1,728 KB.  My problem is that  I can open and view the one file but not the other.  The error I get is "Image file "0001.ACI" is stored in an unsupported format". 
    Two comments:  Murphy got me on this one.  The mic file that works I can be reproduce any time.  The one that doesn't was captured in the field in a location and with equipment that cannot be reproduced, thus the urgency to figure out how I can view it.  More importantly, in WinXP file explorer, a thumbnail comes up for both as the correct image so I know that most or all of the data for the image is there.  Just that IC cannot open or view the file.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks!
    Thursday, August 21, 2008 4:53 PM

Answers

• Greetings Steve,
    I've seen the file and it seems that it comes from corrupted media. VBKen has in fact only the first half of the file, but without knowing the file format we are not able to extract any data from it as I can't decode/manipulate the ACI chunks without corruption. :(

I still hope the format will be published one day...  ;-)
    Jan

• Marked as answer by Steve Smegner Wednesday, September 24, 2008 8:02 PM
    Friday, August 29, 2008 3:31 PM

All replies

•  Greetings,

In order to assist you towards a solution can you provide me some information on how these .MIC files were created?

Steve Smegner

Application Development Consulting Group

Friday, August 22, 2008 5:47 AM
  • Steve,

The mic files were created by pressing "Print Screen" then opening MS Image composer, "pasting" the screenshot into IC then saving it as a mic file.  This procedure has worked many times before but somehow the file I need seems to be corrupt.  As mentioned, WinXP file explorer can still make a thumbnail from the file which indicates that the image is there, I just can't open it with IC.
    Thanks!
    Friday, August 22, 2008 3:11 PM
  • Hi VBKen,
    the .MIC file does contain separate image of thumbnail, so seeing a thumbnail on a file does not mean a lot about its content.

One tip would be to try to insert the .MIC file into IC document instead of opening it, but I can imagine it won't help in your case.
    If you want to give me a try to get the data out of it, you can e-mail me both files to kucera@lupacovka.cz and I will check if I can do anything with it.

Jan
    • Edited by Jan Kučera Tuesday, August 26, 2008 12:24 AM typo
    • Proposed as answer by Steve Smegner Wednesday, August 27, 2008 8:01 AM
    Monday, August 25, 2008 11:41 PM
  • Greetings Steve,
    I've seen the file and it seems that it comes from corrupted media. VBKen has in fact only the first half of the file, but without knowing the file format we are not able to extract any data from it as I can't decode/manipulate the ACI chunks without corruption. :(

I still hope the format will be published one day...  ;-)
    Jan

• Marked as answer by Steve Smegner Wednesday, September 24, 2008 8:02 PM
    Friday, August 29, 2008 3:31 PM