Outlook 2007 "not responding" not able to open Outlook RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am running Microsoft 2007 Outlook on Vista.   I am not able to open Outlook, it is stating that it is "not responding".   I have tried to open it in "offline" mode, but still no success,  same error (Outlook is not responding). It appears that Outlook may be searching for something or not able to execute a file, however no other error or file issue appears.

Any suggestions to troubleshoot this problem would be appreciated. 

Thanks is advance,

Marnie

Wednesday, January 14, 2009 5:27 PM

All replies

• i have the same problem but noway to fix
    Sunday, February 15, 2009 1:40 AM

• there are hundreds of people on the web looking for an answer this OUTLOOK 2007 (not responding) issue.   MICROSOFT HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Monday, June 8, 2009 10:36 PM
  • Has anyone found a solution yet?  My Outlook 2007 stopped yesterday after months of being fine.
    Friday, September 4, 2009 7:25 AM
  • Hi All,

Fixed it!!

I created a new profile in mail, from within control panel and selected to choose which profile to open.  When I then started outlook I chose the new profile and outlook worked.  I then tried to import the the original profile Outlook.pst file and it all crashed.

So, I copied the original outlook.pst file to a memory stick and ran scanpst.exe from another machine on the file.  It fixed a couple of errors.  I then copied the file back, replacing the original file and opened outlook.  I opened my original profile when prompted and it worked.

I then deleted the new profile from MAIL in control panel and opted to open the default folder automatically.

I hope this helps others that are having the same issues with outlook.

Chris
    Sunday, September 6, 2009 1:34 PM
  • Man, thanks this worked. However, I deleted my profile and created a new one within the mail icon in control panel.  I have Vista. I was not able to find mail under vista. I used classic to find it and removed the profile. Also, I did not requested a profile to open. I have only one. I was not even getting or send emails. Now, everything is working good.

Thanks
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 2:10 AM
  • DO NOT BOTHER DOING THIS UNLESS YOUR ARE A FRUSTRATED OBSESSED GEEK.

1. Shut down Outlook 2007, then rename the following files:

"C:\...\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\extend.dat " [to extend.old]
    "C:\...\AppData\Local\Microsoft\FORMS\FRMCACHE.dat " [to frmCache.old]

or if you are running Vista or SEVEN, you know where to look in the Users tree.
    You know SEVEN, you have to take ownership of these trees, run Explorer as Elevated Admin.

Restart Outlook 2007 and this will fix it for a lot of people, including mine. For those that 
    it does not solve this issue, and you have google desktop... 

2. Uninstall Google Desktop. Microsoft doesn't know how this could work, but it does.

OK... time to carpet bomb the problem.

3. For anybody (Win7, Vista, XP, etc.) make directory, say, D:\temp.  Place in TEMP your PST
    even if your PST is one for IMAP Google, etc. 

4. Place in TEMP scanpst.exe (or if running 7, then search for it).  It is within \windows\installer\
    $PatchCache$\some long hex string\ further down to most recent directory.
    It could be called SCANPST.EXE.0002.  Copy the latest dated EXE file to TEMP.

5. Rename this to scanpst.EXE.

6. Also copy from this bizarre long Windows system tree into this TEMP directory:

OLMAPI32.dll
    SCNPST32.dll
    SCNPST64.dll

7. Open up a CMD line and type SCANPST.exe.  Browse to your PST victim.

8. Copy your fixed PST file back into its original location.  Start Outlook.

9. It worked like a charm.  No problems ever again.

Hope this helps.

Nirvana99, MCSE "2003" since 1995

workingOnHomeServer
    Friday, April 30, 2010 11:32 PM
  • Great post,  talkaboutit!   Your solution worked perfectly for me.
    Friday, January 20, 2012 1:36 PM
  • You are the MAN!!! Worked like a champ, just did step one and it worked!
    Friday, February 17, 2012 6:23 PM
  •  I have to follow through all the steps to make it work. But it works!

Thanks!

Friday, March 30, 2012 10:15 PM
  • Has anyone found a solution yet?  My Outlook 2007 stopped yesterday after months of being fine.

Yes, guys..... i had the same problem. my outlook 2007 was not working and giving so many errors. first of all  tried inbuilt scanpst.exe tool. but as result i got nothing. I searched on the google for a best PST Repair tool and finally i founded a powerful and fantastic PST Repair too named as Stellar Phoenix PST Repair tool. the tool fixed all problem and now i am enjoying with my outlook application.

I founded the tool at: http://stellar.pstrepairtools.net

Monday, December 24, 2012 7:05 AM