looking for entry level programmable robot RRS feed

• Question

• i am looking for an ecenomical robot for my grandson which uses ms robotics developer to interface...(less expensive than lego mindstorms)
    Saturday, December 5, 2009 5:53 PM

Answers

• If I understand correctly, you are looking for something cheaper than a LEGO NXT (currently $266 on Amazon). That does not give you much leeway because RDS does not run directly on low-end robots so we use a Bluetooth interface to remotely control the robot.

The iRobot Create is about $129, but you need to buy a BAM or a Rootooth for about $80-$90. The robot itself has limited sensors. The services are included with RDS.

The Boe-Bot from Parallax costs $160 and requires quite a bit of assembly, which will not be feasible if your grandson is too young. You also need a bluetooth module for about $70. The Boe-Bot services are available from http://www.promrds.com

The Scribbler from Parallax is $100 but you will need a Fluke board for Bluetooth at about $80. There used to be services from Georgia Tech, but I don't know if they are available for the current version of RDS.

You can also look into VEX robotics. The services are on CodePlex.

I'm sure that there are other robots as well that work with RDS, but the list keeps changing.

Trevor

Tuesday, December 8, 2009 3:16 AM

All replies

• If I understand correctly, you are looking for something cheaper than a LEGO NXT (currently $266 on Amazon). That does not give you much leeway because RDS does not run directly on low-end robots so we use a Bluetooth interface to remotely control the robot.

The iRobot Create is about $129, but you need to buy a BAM or a Rootooth for about $80-$90. The robot itself has limited sensors. The services are included with RDS.

The Boe-Bot from Parallax costs $160 and requires quite a bit of assembly, which will not be feasible if your grandson is too young. You also need a bluetooth module for about $70. The Boe-Bot services are available from http://www.promrds.com

The Scribbler from Parallax is $100 but you will need a Fluke board for Bluetooth at about $80. There used to be services from Georgia Tech, but I don't know if they are available for the current version of RDS.

You can also look into VEX robotics. The services are on CodePlex.

I'm sure that there are other robots as well that work with RDS, but the list keeps changing.

Trevor

Tuesday, December 8, 2009 3:16 AM
  • Thanks trevor....

Bottom line is the lego is probably the best all inclusive option if i read it correctly..
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 5:15 AM
  • Yes :-)

Trevor
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 5:30 AM