none
Implementing Soft and Hard reset on Windows Embedded Standard 7 RRS feed

• Question

• I'd like to have a soft and hard reset functionality on a device running WES7, but I could not find any useful information about how to implement a feature like that. I am not sure what kind of device i am going to use and with what kind of user interactions i'd like to make soft reset possible, so let's just assume i am using WES7 with an ordinary desktop computer.
    How could I implement a soft reset functionality, restarting the OS upon some kind of special user interaction (e. g. holding down some special keys for some seconds or something like that)? I am not very familiar with the Win32 API.

The other question is how to implement hard reset. What would be the most conventional way to preserve an initial state of the OS on the device and be able to restore it upon some user interaction?

Of course I am not expecting anyone to provide me a full implementation or dive into technical details, I am rather asking for the general ideas and the main steps I have to make to implement these features.
    Wednesday, July 7, 2010 4:04 PM

Answers

• Soft Reset - I assume the intention here is to recover from minor problems caused by a recent software change etc. The user can initiate a "soft reset" to the "Last Known Good" state by pressing F8 in the boot menu. Here's some additional FAQ (link)

Hard Reset - I assume the intention here is to restore the OS partition to factory state. You can use Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) to provide the necessary restore image that will be applied automatically or via user interaction post failure.  Many OEMs use this extensively on Windows 7 laptops to provide instant and fully automated recovery. Here's a good white paper on WinRE (link)

Please provide your feedback if these mechanisms do not provide what you need on your device. 

Srikanth Kamath [MSFT] - This posting is provided "As Is" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by TomCarmody Thursday, July 8, 2010 10:54 AM
    Wednesday, July 7, 2010 5:15 PM
  • On Win7 pressing the power button will initiate clean shutdown (press and hold for several seconds will initiate reset). This should help with minor hangs that don't block shutdown. Have you considered this approach ?

Srikanth Kamath [MSFT] - This posting is provided "As Is" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, July 8, 2010 4:49 AM

All replies

• Soft Reset - I assume the intention here is to recover from minor problems caused by a recent software change etc. The user can initiate a "soft reset" to the "Last Known Good" state by pressing F8 in the boot menu. Here's some additional FAQ (link)

Hard Reset - I assume the intention here is to restore the OS partition to factory state. You can use Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) to provide the necessary restore image that will be applied automatically or via user interaction post failure.  Many OEMs use this extensively on Windows 7 laptops to provide instant and fully automated recovery. Here's a good white paper on WinRE (link)

Please provide your feedback if these mechanisms do not provide what you need on your device. 

Wednesday, July 7, 2010 5:15 PM
  • Thanks a lot for the fast reply.

"Soft Reset - I assume the intention here is to recover from minor problems caused by a recent software change etc. The user can initiate a "soft reset" to the "Last Known Good" state by pressing F8 in the boot menu."

That is not exactly what I'd like to achieve. The problem I'd like to handle is when for any reason, the application (or custom shell) running on the device freezes and i'd like the user to be able to reboot. He can't do it with the GUI because it is frozen and there may not be any keyboard to do ctrl+alt+del (in fact I don't even want the user to be able to do that), I just want to make it possible to reboot the device with a button. Maybe it's more of an embedded Win32 API question and not specific to WES (but handling the press of that special button can be device-specific i assume).

Hard Reset: Thanks for the info, I'm going to read the white paper right now.

Wednesday, July 7, 2010 7:04 PM
  • On Win7 pressing the power button will initiate clean shutdown (press and hold for several seconds will initiate reset). This should help with minor hangs that don't block shutdown. Have you considered this approach ?

Thursday, July 8, 2010 4:49 AM