none
get distribution group of all mailboxes RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,since we do not have a direct exchange powershel  cmdlet to get distribution groups of a user, we get all distribution groups, get members of each group and then compare if my mailbox is part of this user's list, i take that group.

But this is very very costly and in-efficient way of doing :(

So i am planning to use AD cmdlet Get-ADUser which has the 'memberOf' property which can get me directly my mailbox's distribution group membership.

I have to do this in the manged code in c#.

Is there any easier way to do this? Using only exchange powershell cmdlet ?

pls help. Thanks.

/M

Monday, April 1, 2013 12:16 PM

All replies

• Hi,

In powershell, u can get the distribution groups of one mailbox using this one liner:

Get-DistributionGroup | where { (Get-DistributionGroupMember $_ | foreach {$_.PrimarySmtpAddress}) -contains "user@domain.com" } 

where user@domain.com is the primary email address of your target mailbox. You can loop over all mailboxes, and replace user@domain.com with email address of each user.

Please also look at this thread

Regards,

Laeeq Qazi|Team Lead(Exchange + Sharepoint + BES + DynamicsCRM) www.HostingController.com

Friday, April 5, 2013 9:57 PM
  • I agree this is just a one liner - but a very very costly and in-efficient way. This is the way I do not want to do. Here for each mailbox I have, I will get all distribution groups and members of each distribution  group and compare my mailbox with each member..!!! This is a very costly operation..!!!

/M

Saturday, April 6, 2013 2:51 AM
  • Why don't you just use LDAP directly eg use the System.DirectoryServices.AccountManagement classes in .net 3.51 see  http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc135979.aspx. (look at the GetGroups() and GetAuthorizationGroups() methods)

Cheers
    Glen

Monday, April 8, 2013 4:35 AM
  • Hi,

Yes, but returned groups may or may not be Exchange Distribution Groups. If we assume that an Exchange Distribution Group would not have empty value in "mail" property, then can put a check on that property after calling GetGroups() or GetAuthorizationGroups() method.

Laeeq Qazi|Team Lead(Exchange + Sharepoint + BES + DynamicsCRM) www.HostingController.com

Monday, April 8, 2013 1:03 PM
  • get-group -filter 'Members -eq "<user_dn>"'
     is the way to go :(

sad for so many days I could not find it :(

I should read all exchange cmdlets some 1000 times....

thanks for all the inputs..

/M

Monday, April 8, 2013 6:03 PM
  • Did you ever find a more efficient way of doing this???

/sRc

Tuesday, January 7, 2014 7:16 AM
  • Hi sRc

get-group -filter 'Members -eq "<user_dn>"'

is the best and efficient way. There is no performance issues at all and all my customers are happy :)

/M

Tuesday, January 7, 2014 7:29 AM
  • I was hoping to find a way to list all mailboxes and list the DL they are in without rerunning ths script after changing it for every user. (for each....) I am not the best at ps and have been stuck on this for a few days...

Thanks,

/sRc

Tuesday, January 7, 2014 7:48 AM