none
Visual Studio for Mac live view

Question

• Hi.

I am the definition of newbie when it comes to use Visual Studio, and now in particular VS for Mac (Preview). Coming from Appcelerator and would like to give this a shot.

Question: Appcelerator has a nice feature enabling You to see live view changes in simulator. Googling a bit made me believe this is also possible for VS Mac when it comes to Xamarin Forms. Is it true that live view works for Xamarin Forms, and if Yes, only for Xamarin Forms?

Tnx

Thursday, December 29, 2016 10:09 PM

Answers

• Hi Tnx,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

Refer to your description and requirement, I found it looks like you are looking for the Xamarin Inspector.

You can have a check with the installation and requirements of the Xamarin Workbooks & Inspector and how to inspect live applications.

Installation and Requirements: live app inspection is available for enterprise customers, except the Xamarin forum, it also supports the WPF in VS on windows.

Inspecting Live Applications:

1. Open any supported app project in Xamarin Studio or Visual Studio.
    2. Run your app in debug mode.
    3. Click the "Inspect" button in the IDE toolbar (in Visual Studio, the "Inspect current app..." menu item is also available from the "Tools" menu).

The Inspector is still in early preview and we’d love for you to give it a try and tell us what you think by getting involved on the Xamarin Inspector forum.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by blaffen Friday, December 30, 2016 8:20 PM
    Friday, December 30, 2016 8:12 AM

All replies

• Hi Tnx,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

Refer to your description and requirement, I found it looks like you are looking for the Xamarin Inspector.

You can have a check with the installation and requirements of the Xamarin Workbooks & Inspector and how to inspect live applications.

Installation and Requirements: live app inspection is available for enterprise customers, except the Xamarin forum, it also supports the WPF in VS on windows.

Inspecting Live Applications:

1. Open any supported app project in Xamarin Studio or Visual Studio.
    2. Run your app in debug mode.
    3. Click the "Inspect" button in the IDE toolbar (in Visual Studio, the "Inspect current app..." menu item is also available from the "Tools" menu).

The Inspector is still in early preview and we’d love for you to give it a try and tell us what you think by getting involved on the Xamarin Inspector forum.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by blaffen Friday, December 30, 2016 8:20 PM
    Friday, December 30, 2016 8:12 AM
  • Hi Sara.

Thanks for answer.

VS Enterprise is like $6000, way out of the league for a kind of indie developer like myself. The live view feature is a kind of feature which should be eligible for all versions of VS when coming to app development. I am sure the folks behind VS/Xamarin would like as many as possible to develop apps for both iOS, Android and Windows. This would benefit from letting more people to use such a feature as live view.

Tnx

Friday, December 30, 2016 4:18 PM